• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi, I am having some problems. It might be caused by overheating. Any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SheepInAJeep

Hi, I have a pretty decent gaming laptop and I want to know if my laptop has some overheating problems.

I bought my laptop 2 weeks ago, and I only play 2 games. Minecraft and Team Fortress 2. The thing is, my laptop occasionally shuts down when I play tf2 (3-4 times with 12 hours of gameplay).

I even got the blue screen of death after tf2 crashed. But, the game crashes randomly. I game for 2-3 hours and there were no issues. But sometimes I play for 30 minutes or 1 hour and it crashes. I checked the temperatures, and they hover at 68-74 degrees Celsius(all time high was 77 degrees).

This never happens with Minecraft even though I play it and at the same time I talk on Skype(temps are also around 60-70 degrees). I am wondering if these crashes are caused by overheating or it's just the game.

What temperatures are you checking? There should be separate ones for the CPU and GPU. CoreTemp for CPU, Afterburner for GPU. How old is the laptop and when is the last time you cleaned dust out of it?

What laptop do you have and what are the specs? Speaking in generalities makes this much more difficult than it needs to be.

Temperatures(CPUID HW Monitor): CPU:67-77 degrees
GPU: 67-77 degrees(usually 1-2 degrees higher than cpu)

Laptop specs: HP Pavillion m6 pc
8 GB RAM
AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz
Windows 7 premium 64 bit
AMD Radeon HD 7640G + 7670M Dual Graphics

I bought the laptop 2 weeks ago and haven't cleaned the fan yet.

Temperatures(CPUID HW Monitor): CPU:67-77 degrees
GPU: 67-77 degrees(usually 1-2 degrees higher than cpu)

Laptop specs: HP Pavillion m6 pc
8 GB RAM
AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz
Windows 7 premium 64 bit
AMD Radeon HD 7640G + 7670M Dual Graphics

I bought the laptop 2 weeks ago and haven't cleaned the fan yet.

As far as your specs are concerned, they are solid. But one thing you have to take in to consideration is the airflow. Do you keep it on your bed or couch, or is it on the desk? Truthfully, laptops, unless they are "gaming" by designed, will have some issues with airflow. Gaming laptops are usually a bit thicker, which provides them better airflow. I have a Toshiba with a i3 and 8gb of ram, and when I play like Gears of war on it, it will randomly shut down, because of the overheating issue. You can try buying a chill mat for it, but i don't think it will help much.

I keep my laptop in the desk. The thing is, I'm not sure if it's a cooling issue because when i play Minecraft and use skype the temperature of the laptop is similar to when i play tf2. Also, what are the long term consequesces of laptop overheating? I want this laptop to perform well for a long time, which is why I am considering buying a cooling pad.

I keep my laptop in the desk. The thing is, I'm not sure if it's a cooling issue because when i play Minecraft and use skype the temperature of the laptop is similar to when i play tf2. Also, what are the long term consequesces of laptop overheating? I want this laptop to perform well for a long time, which is why I am considering buying a cooling pad.

Well it could lead to the motherboard failing on you. Because of the random shutdowns and reboots. Also your hard drive could fail early too. Mine craft isn't really a heavy game to run. But definitely get a cooling pad for it. One that I would recommend would be a coolermaster or Targus. Had heard good reviews on both of them. I don't game on my laptop anymore so i don't need to use one.

One thing you can do, is get a freeware program called coretemp. It will let you know how hot your CPU (or in your case, APU), is running on idle. and then while you run it, it will keep track of your high and low temps. That might give you a heads up. I would suggest running minecraft with it and you will see how hot your machine gets. The software itself will also give you your APU's max temp before it cuts off and turns the machine off too. My laptops cut off temp is 85C. Now on my desktop its 95C. Idle temps on Desktop is around right now and my laptop is around 39C.

So definitely check out the Core temp program.

If you have it on a flat surface and it is crashing, talk to the manufacturer. It is two weeks old. You shouldn't have to pay for anything to get it working.

If you have it on a flat surface and it is crashing, talk to the manufacturer. It is two weeks old. You shouldn't have to pay for anything to get it working.

And just to add a note, exchange it since you are having issues. If you bought it at a store, just exchange it for a new one. If you bought it online, do an RMA on it

I can play the game, it's just that it crashes randomly. This never happens when I play other games

Wait. You keep it IN your desk? In a drawer? Or was that a typo?

Lol sorry it was a typo. Anyway thanks allot guys I think the issue is resolved. I contacted the steam forums and they said it was completely normal. I just have to verify and defragment the game.

I just spent 3 days trying to figure out why my PC would lock up when I clicked on a web page. Random. Tried this and that, fixes, reverted to IE8, stopped programs, redid mouse drivers etc etc. I figured it out finally, reloaded my GPU drivers. I almost asked here.

Sometimes it just takes time to figure out, and the forum members can't help one hoot, like thet wild goose chase with temps on your laptop.

Let us know if it's fixed.

Back