• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High profile RAM and cooler issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atherak

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new pc and I got the enxt problem:

I want to combine i7 3770K + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H + G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2133 PC3-1700 16GB 2x8GB CL9 and the problem is the cooler, wich one to go? Cause Noctua nh d14 cannot go with TridentX, and the same happens with Thermal Light Silver Arrow.

I take Noctua nh d14 and a low profile RAM or I stay with TridentX and I go for another cooler?

BTW I want air cooler...

The fan in the D14 that sits above the DIMM slots can be moved higher in the heatsink to clear the module(s).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 154
just make sure your case is wide enough
i have gskill pi and just run the middle fan.
actually swapped out for a thermalright because it was the only available pwn at the time.

What? The Define R3 is a rather big case, it'll fit a NH-D14 no problem.

According to their website, the Define R3 supports CPU coolers up to 165mm tall, whereas the NH-D14 is 160mm tall.

yeah, that case will fit a d14, but the front fan will need to be removed to accomadate ram heatsinks.

According to some sites, the heat sink of the TridentX is easy removable.

If I remove them, I will have lose the warranty? The ram will lose performance?

Thanks guys for the responses! This is the last step before I go buy the combo.

question is what programs are you running that you would need those high timing sticks?

most apps don't benefit from faster ram and i believe the z77 boards overclock the cpu and ram separately.

I'm taking TridentX cause I saw in some pages and in the tech forum of gskill that the TridentX series are the best ram to go with ivy bridge 3rd gen:

"Different chips (ICs), the Z series is aimed/designed primarily towards socket 2011 and true quad channel, the Ares is more of of general purpose stick not aimed specifically at a particular platform, like the Snipers, the Ripjaws X is designed for 1155 and 2nd Gen CPUs (i.e. SB), Tridents again at 1155 but towards 3rd gen CPU (i.e. IB)".

The computer that I want is similar to this:

http://www.pccomponentes.com/presup...or_red=0;1&instal_so=no;1&montado=si;1&so=0;1

Just that the cooler is Noctua nh d14 cause a friend suggested that I ll need a large cooler for ivy.

I want a computer for:
gaming
video edit
programming
sql server

Plus I'm one of these guys that waits a lot for buy a new computer (like 5 years)

Oh, and I want to learn/do some OC too!

Last edited:
that seems like a lot of hype.

the tridents are primarily for bench marking bragging rights.

you will see miniscule if any difference between the tridents and ram that costs half as much in most all apps except bench marking.

i recommend save your money and get less expensive ram or a spend the same and get better motherboard plus less expensive ram.

you may notice a difference in ease of cpu overclocking and possibly a slightly higher max cpu frequency with the asus maximus v over the gigabyte.

the asus also has much better integrated sound components than the gigabyte.

You are looking at tenths of a percentage point of difference with faster RAM, not worth it.

The better motherboard is also a bit pointless, as overclocking on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is largely independent of the motherboard. Even the UD5H is on the expensive side.

All onboard sound, even the SupremeFX or whatever on the ASUS ROG series boards is pretty much equal and meh compared to actual quality DACs and amps.

I would go with a 3770K, ASRock Extreme3 or Extreme4, DDR3-1600 CL9 sticks (brand doesn't really matter) and probably a single stack cooler like the Thermalright Ultra if you can find one for cheap.

how is overclocking independent of the motherboard?

do you mean the cpu multi is unlocked?

doesn't a better mobo still supply cleaner power at higher voltages though?

Motherboards used to play a much bigger role in overclocking when the FSB was unclocked, like on my i7-920. Now it's the opposite, multi is unlocked and FSB is locked, so it's mostly just what type of CPU you get. Sandy and Ivy bridge CPUs are both fairly low powered CPUs as well, any board with at least 8 phases should be able to power any reasonable 24/7 OC.

@op

here's my high ram cooler setup with the d14.
i almost forgot about this, it's kind of what you are asking about.
haven't opened my case in months.

i have a 140mm silverstone air penetrator strapped to a hollowed-out 140mm fan frame as an extension and 3m double-tack tapped on top of the disc drive.
on 12v it's as good as a low rpm 120mm noctua fan mounted on the heatsink.

Attachments

• DSCF0233.JPG
    DSCF0233.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 121
Thanks to all for the responses!!

I contacted with Noctua and they said that I will not have any problem if I remove the heat sink from the RAM (trident X). I think I will go with that.

Again, thx to all you, ppl!

Back