• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest cfm fan for noctua d14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

issicus

Registered
After a bit of googleing it looks like the nf a14 3000rpm is the choice replacement . I dont care about noise, is there something that will move more air?

I found one site that said putting one GT ap-30 120mm (116cfm) in the center got the best result. I'm not seeing anywhere it's for sale though

Last edited:
Delta 3000rpm will be your answer.

But I gotta say, that's like taboo and stuff. Also, you probably won't notice any improvement over the stock noctua fans. 1-2c max.

More powerful fans typically provide minimal improvement unless the cooler fins are packed close together, as was the case with the old Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme. Usually, the fans are matched pretty well with the fin density so that blasting more air just runs into the law of diminishing returns pretty quickly.

The reason I call it taboo is because Noctua is touted for their silent operation and Delta, well, they are anything but silent. Lol

Edit : I'm not familiar with the Highfine brand but I have seen a few Bgears. Something to keep in mind is you only have 25mm between the two towers of the D14. That Bgears you listed is 38mm thick.

Again I doubt it will make a ton of difference.

I bought a Delta fan once. I used to not care about fan noise (I’m technically deaf) until I heard that Delta. I could feel it too. Less than 24hrs later I was repacking and returning that fan. I would definitely avoid Deltas.

I bought a Delta fan once. I used to not care about fan noise (I’m technically deaf) until I heard that Delta. I could feel it too. Less than 24hrs later I was repacking and returning that fan. I would definitely avoid Deltas.

True :plus1: BUT

If you want to be able to turn the page in your newspaper from across the room, after cooling _____ - IT's GOT TO BE A DELTA FAN :)
If you want to say that "I can't hear you" to your wife - IT's GOT TO BE A DELTA FAN :)
Insert other sayings when something is extremely loud :thup:

I mostly use my computer to run my rift and use head phones so as long as it moves a lot of air I don't think noise will be a problem.

38mm is to big

This would fit but if I try putting faster fans I want the fastest one there is. Maybe I would need two of the 38mm fans on either side for optimal air flow.

Edit
I think I found it the delta afb1512ehyvb 150mm x 172mm x 25mm 4200rpm 290cfm fan. It's a beast ..idk if I'm ready to spend $80 on a fan, that would be more than the d14 I'm putting it in was.

This might be better 120mm 4000rpm 150cfm its cheaper . And will fit the mounting bracket.

Last edited:
After a bit of googleing it looks like the nf a14 3000rpm is the choice replacement . I dont care about noise, is there something that will move more air?

I found one site that said putting one GT ap-30 120mm (116cfm) in the center got the best result. I'm not seeing anywhere it's for sale though

I did a review of modern fans on the NF-D14 here: https://www.overclockers.com/noctua-nh-d14-redux-modern-fans-on-an-old-heatsink/, but I did not have an NF-A14 iPPC 3000. A user on another forum did, however, and got another 4c cooling from the D14.

The GT is a 120mm fan that specializes in high static pressure.

The NF-A14 is a 140mm fan optimized for high airflow at reasonably elevated static pressure. Its biggest competitor would be the Thermalright TY-143, a 140mm PWM fan that has a nominal speed of 300-2500rpm. If you can get the Noctua fan, get the NF-A14 3000 iPPC PWM. It has a speed of 450-3000rpm.

In any case, Noctua still makes the D14 even though it is EOL. People still buy it, so they make it. I prefer it to the D15 that replaced it. Both are still better heatsinks than anyone else makes.

As for modern fans on a D14 or D15, the middle fan should be 140mm. The D14 ships with a 120mm front fan, and in private testing I found the NF-A12x25 holds up well in front, finishing about as well as an NH-U14S. That result was left off the chart in the review, probably from forgetfulness. But really, if your case is big enough to handle RAM+140mm fan, go for the larger fan in front.

As for Noctua, as Blaylock noted, they make their heatsinks to be quiet, like an owl -- hence the name (Noctua is an owl) and the emblem.

We can all tell him how it will play out but he will need to live it (too) just like we did.

Good luck on your fan-quest! It can be quite the journey.

Yep

The 140mm fan in the middle gives some air flow under the fin stack which can help cool the VRM heatsink.

I think we need to step back and look at the complete picture.

Why do you need a bigger fan? What problem do you have that this will resolve? What CPU are you cooling and what case are you using?

Without those answers, we are only comparing talking points and not really giving you the best help that we can provide.

Until you've heard Delta's though.... Note: They will remove a finger if you temp it. Maybe not but OUCH! if you let a finger in one.

It's been mentioned several times that High Speed fans will only provide nominal gains.

I would look at your case flow. A delta won’t help if your case is suffocating. D14 is a good cooler, but you need good airflow, like with any other cooler. 50cfm going through your case is not what I would call good airflow.

It's been mentioned several times that High Speed fans will only provide nominal gains.

That is normally true. But re- this heatsink I had a conversation with a user who had strapped an NH-14 3000 in his and got vastly improved cooling. I doubt a Delta would help, since I have only seen 60-120mm Deltas on offer. I think a D14 goes better with a 140mm fan.

Edit: wouldn't you know? He just this minute posted this: "I had an NH-d15 on my 1800x when it was putting out over 210W in y-cruncher/Prime95/etc. It kept temps lower than that."

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I would look at your case flow. A delta won’t help if your case is suffocating. D14 is a good cooler, but you need good airflow, like with any other cooler. 50cfm going through your case is not what I would call good airflow.

This is true. This is why I generally have 2x140mm fans up front with an empty spot in the back where you will normally find a grill. For an example of eschewing an exhaust fan, here is my post from 2010: https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1594120-negative-pressure-rig-no-case-fans.html

what are you trying to do?

I have a i5 2500k . Right now I'm running it at 4.6ghz 79-83c on prime95 but stays under 80c when gaming which is all I'm doing with it. It would be nice if I could keep it under 80c.

I tried some different fan configs. With my very limited testing I discovered that the temps with one 140mm in the center were the same as when had 3 fans 120mm -140mm -120mm

is case airflow good?
I would think so. I leave the side panel off.

I would think so. I leave the side panel off.

Generally this is true however, not always the case. In my latest review I found the lack of a side panel actually reduced the flow of air through the case and allowed a hot spot to form at the top & front.

Here's a link to the review with a short quote.

With the internal case temperature only rising 4 °C warmer than ambient, this is one of the better cases we have tested as far as thermals go. This is surprising considering there is only a single fan for intake when the other four in this comparison chart used three intake fans. The bigger shocker here is the temperatures actually increased by one degree once the glass side panel was removed. This was very suspicious and the tests were re-run a second time just to verify. The results were identical the second time around confirming the higher temperature.

What is happening here is, once the side panel is removed the airflow from the front fan escapes out the side and no longer provides cool air to the temperature probe located above the fan. A warm air pocket develops and you get a slight bump in temps. This is neither good or bad. Try not to read it that way. These results are still very good and we’re only talking about one degree at max load over an extended period of time. Naturally, adding additional fans would completely eliminate this and further improve airflow.

That's a pretty sweet setup, ehume. Classy. I just brute force mine, issicus. With my front filter off, and my front fans at 12v I get 110cfm feeding the 130cfm fan on my cooler, though that's not how I normally run it.. For 4600 I am using 1.3v and it looks like we are getting roughly the same temps. I am pretty much at the limit of my CPU. I ran this earlier this afternoon because tomorrow I am putting my other cooler on for a little comparison. Also in my setup, I get better results with the side panel on..

Untitled.jpg
sunset_z77.jpg

Edit:

Cant get rid of my attachments.. Okay, so I just switched coolers.. Today ambients are a little warmer than yesterday, but I am seeing 3-4c difference already using Le Grand Macho RT and TY-143 vs my True Spirit 140 Power and TY-143. I haven't run this cooler on my main rig for at least a year.. and I have to say I am surprised, and impressed. I don't recall there being that kind of a gap. I can probably add 100mhz. Wow. Well, I still stand by what I said before, for the price you probably cant beat TS140P, but right now I prefer LGMRT.

Last edited:
Back