• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

highest FSB with athlon 1.4ghz?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slick316

hi,
newbie here, trying to get the most out of my system, so obviously trying to o/c.
the highest FSB i am able to get is 145Mhz, with a multiplier of 11, giving me 1595Mhz. whenever i try to go higher with the FSB, the system wont start(it will get past the boot/post screen, but i will get an error when the windows screen appears, and it wont load windows)
what? lower the multiplier you said, and then increase the FSB? tried that, still wont work, i had it at 146mhz FSB and multiplier at 5, still wont boot, whats wrong?

athlon 1.4ghz
shuttle ak31 v3
256mb kingston value ram (ddr pc2100)
cooler master HSF ($5 from newegg.com, keeps my cpu under 50C with full load non o/ced, at 1595Mhz, cpu goes to 55C under load)

i really dont want to do any pencil trick things, cause i know that i am a clutz and i might mess something up, is there something specail that i should do in the bios?

also, i got a new cooler master HSF from a friend(HHC-001 or something), its a copper HS, 7000RPM fan, has something called a heat pipe in it, i installed it replacing my old $5 HSF, and its worse! temps got upto 60C non o/ced, so i took it out. i am using arctic silver compound, and i noticed that it was getting good contact when i took it off, any ideas on this? i sanded the bottom smooth with 1000 grit sand paper, if all else fails, anyone want to buy a slightly used HSF?

You can't change your CPU multiplier unless you have your AMD unlocked. As for the unstability, your temps aren't great, but I can't imagine that would hinder you. Maybe it would. Or, your processor could just have reached its limit! If your temps were a little lower, I would suggest putting more volts to the CPU (the Vcore). After all, you can't just run something more, you need to supply the necessary energy for it. Understand?

I had both 200fsb and 266 fsb version 1.4 Tb's and found that the 200 fsb is factory locked while the 266 fsb versions are factory unlocked. Also the pencil trick is easy( alot easier than unlocking an Xp!!) so go for it and you will be glad you did:cool:

Mamer is correct on the locked/unlocked part. (ie, if that's a 1400/266 chip, you don't need a pencil..it's already unlocked...but the pencil trick is quite easy to perform, in all honesty.)

Also bear in mind, this board doesn't have a 1/5th divisor, so the further you push past 133, the further out of spec your PCI bus will be...can the rest of your components (hard drive, vid card, etc...) handle the higher bus speeds?

B.

ok, i know that it must be unlocked, because i do have the 1.4ghz/266fsb athlon, and the default settings are 10.5x multiplier and 133fsb, i was able to set it at 11x multiplier and 145fsb, so....
my pci components consists of a netgear 10/100 nic and a sb live! 5.1, in the agp i got the radeon 8500 64mb ddr, and my hd is an ibm deskstar 60gb @ 7200rpm. should these components be able to handle the increase in fsb? and i dont have the radeon o/ced anymore either.
also, this is my problem, with the default multiplier(10.5x), i can only increase my fsb to 140, with 11x i can go to 145.
strange thing is if i go out of the 133-145fsb range, or i use any other multiplier other than 10.5 or 11, pc wont boot, so with that in mind, is it the mobo or the cpu? i have the latest bios update from shuttle for my mobo, and the latest via 4 in 1 drivers(if that helps).

12x I believe is the highest multi you can get currently, but you're looking to lower the multi and raise the FSB, right?

It will not boot even at 133FSB with lower multis (than you mentioned)?? Curious...

B.

Mr B said:
12x I believe is the highest multi you can get currently, but you're looking to lower the multi and raise the FSB, right?

It will not boot even at 133FSB with lower multis (than you mentioned)?? Curious...

B.

yep, even if i set it at 10x multiplier, and 133fsb, wont boot, i dont understand it. when i first got the mobo and cpu, i wasn't able to o/c at all, so i got the bios update, and now i'm only able to do what i mentioned above.

and yes, i am trying to keep the cpu speed around 1400, but with a higher fsb and lower multiplier. (1500mhz is ok, but i'm looking more for stability than just speed)

IceMan3928 said:
hmm... i have the exact same problem with my XP 1700 system and i beleive i remember reading about other people with this problem, maby its something other than the proc or motherboard. What else is in your system?

here is my system:
Shuttle AK31 v3.0
Athlon 1.4GHz
256MB DDR PC2100 (Kingston value ram)
60GB IBM Deskstar @ 7200RPM
SB LIVE! 5.1
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR
5x DVD-ROM(Mitsumi)
8x4x32x CD-RW(HP)
Iomega 100MB Zip Drive
Netgear 10/100 NIC
56k ActionTec Modem

i think that covers all of it, if you can help me find out whats causing my problem, i'd really appreciate it (and if i find out, i'll post here)

IceMan3928 said:
What OS are you running, and does it BSOD when loading Windows? on mine i beleive the error is related to data corruption which leads me to suspect the RAM

i am running winxp pro and i do get the BSOD. the BSOD basically says something like, " settings in the BIOS might cause instability in windows and must be corrected before windows can startup."

should i try another OS? i have winme and win98, but i dont like them cause they seem to crash often, especially when compared to winxp, but if i can get a good o/c using a different OS, i would try it.

>> (ie, if that's a 1400/266 chip, you don't need a pencil..it's already unlocked...but the pencil trick is quite easy to perform, in all honesty.) <<

What do you mean, "pencil trick"? To unlock a processor!?

Slick316,

One of the Top 10 mobos (that allow extreme voltages and stability)..

One of the Top 5 memories..

Will help get you 200+mhz FSB. It can be done easily on your T-bird processor as well.

One of the best, high performance mobos: Epox 8K3A series

One of the best and high quality memories: Mushkin PC3200 DDR

Those are what I have and I'm doing 7 x 202mhz fsb and the my Mushkin tops out at 215mhz fsb on my Duron.

Gravity Man said:

That's your problem.

hmm...i was kinda thinking that, oh well, i'm not going to bother spending more money on ram just to o/c(well, not yet anyways)

thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it(another cool forum with helpful people, i love the net :) )

Back