• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hmm interesting dilemma. Help me pick between these two!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

K so i'm comparing these two laptops

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10076933&catid=20354

and

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10073123&logon=&langid=EN

The bestbuy comp in summary:

CPU: T2050
Ram: 1.5gb ddr2
Bus: 533
HDD: 120gb SATA
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Display: 15.4 WXGA HD
Weight: 2.94kg

The futureshop comp:

CPU: T2300
Ram: 1gb ddr2
Bus: 667
HDD: 100gb SATA
Graphics: 128MB (Shared) Intel GMA 950
Display: 14 WXGA HD
Weight: 2.41kg

In terms of performance, i am completely locked between these two. The first has a slower processor but 500mb more ram..hmm..

also in terms of graphics (using for dvd viewing, max), will the 128mb GMA 950 better than the Intel GMA 950.. or are the two one in the same? especially when the two have HD displays, if this mean anything.

The misc considerations are weight.. I actually give the 14inch, 2.41kg credit for being light, but 0.5 kg more won't kill me, and with a bigger screen.

The 14inch, 2.41kg is about $200 more expensive

all help appreciated! :D

don't know bout the graphics if they are the same, but the only thing that the Bestbuy comp loses out on is a slower bus, but you shouldn't see much from that I wouldn't guess. Also the mem and hdd are bigger. I would get the one at bestbuy.

yea but shopping at futureshop he's a canadian. Atleast that's the only place I've seen them, so shipping, plus the conversion which aint bad no more would get him. But still, the memory and extra 20 gigs almost makes up for it IMO.

actually both stores are in canada, and they are actually SIDE BY SIDE in the same mall lol.. retarded if you ask me, since the two stores sell the samethings.

btw, bestbuy bought out futureshop incase you didn't know. but then again, i'm moving to NYC in 12 days for college.. and this is for college. so newegg will be accessible soon :D, but then again, i wouldn't bother upgrading a lappy once i buy it

oh ya, will the 1.5 gb ram be in dualchannel? and wouldn't the slower FSB bring down the ram speed? or will i not see much of a difference

yea, when I was in B.C in 04 the "great" folks at futureshop told me they was part of bestbuy or some crap. Don't know bout dual channel but going from 533 to 800 dropping 1 gig I noticed a stale mate sort of but still saw alil fall back from the drop in amount, so you should be fine.

Don't know bout dual channel but going from 533 to 800 dropping 1 gig I noticed a stale mate sort of but still saw alil fall back from the drop in amount, so you should be fine.

wow sry i didn't understand that lol

hahaha it's alright. I confuse myself sometimes...
When i switched from my 2 gigs of 533 to 1 gig of 800 I noticed an increase in speed but I also grew accustomed to the 2 gigs so i could tell alil difference in performance. Sorta like a double edged sword.

Back