• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holly Shed......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frakk

I found this while browsing the net, apparently his water pump failed and it was a little while before he noticed..... :eek:

Attachments

• hothothot.jpg
    hothothot.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 88
I found this while browsing the net, apparently his water pump failed and it was a little while before he noticed..... :eek:

I don't have the link you were looking at but the interesting and positive aspect of the whole situation is that apparently the cpu throttled itself survived and there was no fire or real damage. I mean HWMonitor and windows did not even crash or she should have had nothing to capture is my guess.

What appears to have happened is why I don't go OCD over temps. If I were in that great a need to control temps, I should be in the HVAC line of work. I have poured tons of volts thru cpus with good coolers (not these cheapies) and never had a cpu fail. Period.

From only what you show, the outcome seems very positive and re-assuring.

EDIT:
I put a strike-thru above for exactness.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
I don't have the link you were looking at but the interesting and positive aspect of the whole situation is that apparently the cpu throttled itself and there was no fire or real damage. I mean HWMonitor and windows did not even crash or she should have had nothing to capture is my guess.

What appears to have happened is why I don't go OCD over temps. If I were in that great a need to control temps, I should be in the HVAC line of work. I have poured tons of volts thru cpus with good coolers (not these cheapies) and never had a cpu fail. Period.

From only what you show, the outcome seems very positive and re-assuring.

Yeah... re-assuring it is, at least we know how though they are if it all goes wrong.

110c on the cores and it survived, there was a time when a CPU would just sit and smolder, literally....

Just a few days ago my CPU overheated (GPU thing, you may know) i think it passed 60c on the cores and then BSOD, but i do have the BIOS set to shut the CPU off @ 70c, which is what i think it did.

Its not the first time i have 'cooked' this CPU and its not yet done it any harm.

Did not save the link, could try dig it up....

Last edited:
Link hunting is not necessary really unless you feel up to it. I was just reading the visual evidence as it appeared in graphic form. RGone...ster.

so how could a 965 get that hot without throttling or shutting off, I've ran prime95 with no cooling and 65c was the highest I've ever seen my chip go without either bsod or throttling, even with the thermal crap in my bios disabled you can't turn off the chips thermal protection.

Based solely on only a HWMonitor capture, there is not an answer to your question. Only further speculation to which there is still no definitive answer .

so how could a 965 get that hot without throttling or shutting off, I've ran prime95 with no cooling and 65c was the highest I've ever seen my chip go without either bsod or throttling, even with the thermal crap in my bios disabled you can't turn off the chips thermal protection.

I don't understand. None of the voltages went down as it should in a thermal throttling.

Look at my post #2 above and see where I put the strike-thru. Struck thru the misleading word 'throttling'.

After a good bit of g00gling, I never saw where AMD does throttling for high temps. It should instead 'shut-down' the system.

I don't understand. None of the voltages went down as it should in a thermal throttling.

I'm kind of in disbelief, if that picture is truly legitimate that's pretty darn impressive.

EDIT: Apparently that was my 1,000 post and I got my seventh star, neat!

Here is a video of one hitting 80c
and he is still playing the game :shrug:

There are a few Phenoms about running insane temps apparently without problems.

Look at my post #2 above and see where I put the strike-thru. Struck thru the misleading word 'throttling'.

After a good bit of g00gling, I never saw where AMD does throttling for high temps. It should instead 'shut-down' the system.

That's true for socket 462. Socket 462 Athlons don't support hardware throttling.

Hardware throttling didn't exist until at least socket 939 or socket 754.

And reportedly, Palomino was the first to include a temp sensor and support thermal shutdown.

T-Birds are required to use the socket sensor to get temp readings.
And that's what helped T-Bird get the bad reputation of frying.

Wow, I didn't know the Phenom II's could handle that amount of heat.... Neither did I know that they had clock throttling..... News to me, I thought they only introduced that with Bulldozer..... Funny to be up some certain aspects of tech but not others..... :shrug:

Back