• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Brew Multiple pelt systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proth

Picture this:
A 40mm square block of solid copper wrapped with (5) 245w pelts on each of the 5 sides. The open side machined down to fit the IHS.

Yes, terribly inefficient, over 1000w of power @ almost 100A and will require a lot of water cooling capacity, but only used as a benching device running a few hours/day. A 250w load spread out across 5 TECs should be 50w/TEC, putting delta T around 52c. If I could keep the backside @ 30c, should produce a -22c load temp @ 250w.

Will be looking for other TECs that can pull down > 60c delta T. I've got the power supplies, copper and machine shop to easily build this, but will it work?. Anyone done anything like this?

peltspec7su.jpg

im going to atemp somthing like that. but i'll be picking up a $20 desktop air conditinor from CVS monday. it should have one in it alone with a plug to plug it into a outlet so i can see wht the specs are on it and if it cools well after i rip it out and if i can use more than 1.

Thats a crazy idea, but why not just buy a 100$ AC unit, and build a chiller.
From what ive seen that would give like -30C load temps.

The one you'll get at CVS will only be a 50 to 80 watt pelt.

i cant seem to find it right now, but there was a SWEEEEEET setup (4x TEC IIRC) over on XS... check out their TEC cooling section for SURE!!

HERE is a dual TEC setup but i swear there was a quad...

Last edited:
Epox4life said:
Thats a crazy idea, but why not just buy a 100$ AC unit, and build a chiller.
From what ive seen that would give like -30C load temps.

The one you'll get at CVS will only be a 50 to 80 watt pelt.

I support the chiller way. Where did you see -30C load from a bent over ac unit and at what load? Chillers I normaly see go -30C and lower and not made from a bent ac units :)

got a link?

Here's a snapshot of mine unloaded...loaded with a Dothan 780 an X850XT, temp goes up only about 2-3 C, believe it or not. Card ran at -25C, CPU at -20C. Figure a ~150W heat load.

Though I won't lie, it's a very different story once I fire it up with two X1900's, around a 400W heatload. Temp jumps about 10C loaded in that case.

TXV coming shortly. :)

Attachments

• temp (Small).JPG
    temp (Small).JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 170
To answer your question yes a few people have done it. Its pretty crazy to see the pictures of it. However you also need something to cool down your hot side of all of your blocks. The crazy setup like this that I saw was actually cooled with chiller and got something like -40°c temperatures on a socket A CPU at like 3.2ghz or something.

Gautam said:
Here's a snapshot of mine unloaded...loaded with a Dothan 780 an X850XT, temp goes up only about 2-3 C, believe it or not. Card ran at -25C, CPU at -20C. Figure a ~150W heat load.

Though I won't lie, it's a very different story once I fire it up with two X1900's, around a 400W heatload. Temp jumps about 10C loaded in that case.

TXV coming shortly. :)

What refrigerant? Compressor? Metering device?

How long did you run the system before you took that measurement, if you have a large amount of mass in the loop it will take a long time for the coolant to warm up to its real temperature. How long did it run?

I dont think that 400w load is realistic. More like 300w. How did you get that 400w number? Did you just take the power consumption numbers? If you did its not really true since not all energy that goes in comes out as heat.

Have some more pictures, I love looking at worklongs and pictures, always another opportunity to learn something new :)

speed bump said:
To answer your question yes a few people have done it. Its pretty crazy to see the pictures of it. However you also need something to cool down your hot side of all of your blocks. The crazy setup like this that I saw was actually cooled with chiller and got something like -40°c temperatures on a socket A CPU at like 3.2ghz or something.

why would you even bother with pelts if you want to go that low?

Pf.Farnsworth said:
What refrigerant? Compressor? Metering device?

How long did you run the system before you took that measurement, if you have a large amount of mass in the loop it will take a long time for the coolant to warm up to its real temperature. How long did it run?
Trust me, it is nothing fancy at all. I'm a complete phase change n00b. All it is is a bent A/C...the compressor is a 3/4hp LG rotary, R22, absolutely nothing special at all.

But yes, there are some caveats. I use 7 gallons of denatured alcohol. The pulldown is VERY long, banking on somewhere around 6-8 hours to hit minimum temps.

400W...I'm not even sure I believe it myself, and yes, you're right that not all that power that's drawn is dissipated. I've been told that the cards draw a hair over 300 at stock, this was fully overvolted and oced, etc. Lets compromise maybe? 350?

In any case, I don't like it shooting up like that. As greenmaji will have you know, I just sloppily threw that together during my 1.5 weeks off for christmas and haven't bothered to take it any further. That's gonna change very shortly though with any hope. Here's a pic, as you can see nothing special at all.

chiller.JPG

If you check out the chiller/ac unit thread on xs, you'll see that mid 30's is actually not that atypical. Gotta love rotaries. Of course, its a very inelegant way to go about it and there's a lot of room for improvement.

End threadjack. :p Hopefully I'll put one up of my own next weekend or so.

Btw, speed bump, look at post #5. ;)

Proth, it's doable, and should provide for some interesting results, but it will be very inefficient as you said. Maybe look into some sort of a phase change solution instead? Either chilled liquid or direct die. For the power, to be brutally honest, the pelts wouldn't come near either.

Joe Camel said:
HERE ya go proth... get ready to :drool:
Gautam found it for me ;)

Holy Crapola.... That's exactly what I was thinking of, all except possibly running the waterlines in series. or finding some way to minimize the water lines. Will definately read up om that thread.. Thanks

EDIT: Nice ghetto setup man...love to throw stuff like that together.. That's what got me started in Overclocking.. Drove my wife nuts with fans, pipes and coolers all over the living room floor..

Last edited:
Gautam said:
Trust me, it is nothing fancy at all. I'm a complete phase change n00b. All it is is a bent A/C...the compressor is a 3/4hp LG rotary, R22, absolutely nothing special at all.

But yes, there are some caveats. I use 7 gallons of denatured alcohol. The pulldown is VERY long, banking on somewhere around 6-8 hours to hit minimum temps.

400W...I'm not even sure I believe it myself, and yes, you're right that not all that power that's drawn is dissipated. I've been told that the cards draw a hair over 300 at stock, this was fully overvolted and oced, etc. Lets compromise maybe? 350?

In any case, I don't like it shooting up like that. As greenmaji will have you know, I just sloppily threw that together during my 1.5 weeks off for christmas and haven't bothered to take it any further. That's gonna change very shortly though with any hope. Here's a pic, as you can see nothing special at all.

If you check out the chiller/ac unit thread on xs, you'll see that mid 30's is actually not that atypical. Gotta love rotaries. Of course, its a very inelegant way to go about it and there's a lot of room for improvement.

End threadjack. :p Hopefully I'll put one up of my own next weekend or so.

lol I live on XS, I just visit here :) -epion2985

I hate rotaries with a passion lol. For practical applications anyway. Too much noise, vibration, power consumption and heat for my liking. Preform well but that doesnt mean much if you only turn it on for an hour to bench. I mean thats a personal opinion. My forte is reciprocating piston compressors since I can run one in my rig with little ventilation, little noise and minimum heat and vibrations.

Your chiller looks good. Try a smaller rez, you will find your temperature as well as pulldown time will improve.

Actually, at this point I'm beginning to heavily consider just screwing it and getting a plate HX....we will see. You hate rotaries for all the reasons I love em. :p

I apologize again for the threadjack, proth.

heh sorry for all the chit chat in your thread proth :)

Gautam said:
Actually, at this point I'm beginning to heavily consider just screwing it and getting a plate HX....we will see. You hate rotaries for all the reasons I love em. :p

I apologize again for the threadjack, proth.

lol you lost me. You like your compressors that shake your setup like there is no tomorrow, get hot enough to damage some materials in contact, make alot of noise, send your power bill though the roof? :confused:

Plate HX are nice, you wont regret it. Just keep in mind two things. One there is one and only one way to position them with the orientation to the center of gavity, ie vertical and only vertical, for them to function properly. And two plumb the mediums correctly for best performance. Ie refrigerant enters at the bottom and exits out the top for obvious reasons. Coolant enters at the top and exits out the bottom, this not so obvious, but plate HX will perfom better with counter directional flow due to the plate surface shaping and the turbulance it creates. Good stuff :thup:

Img00006.JPG

Now why say terrible inneficient.
With that many pelts you should instead run the pelts at lower voltages to produce higher effiencies with good cooling prosperred by the application of multiple peltiers.

Yea.. Ive been talking to Gautam about his chiller quite a bit and Ill confirm his quick fix to OCing :sn:

Proth... get out the mapp torch and brazing rods man.. its time to go chiller :sn: Pelts are just not cool enough for you my man! :attn:

No problem on the threadjack.... Going to scrap this idea anyway because first of all it was done, so the coolness of being first isn't possible and secondly, like Epox said, a water chiller would give better results. Have been trying to buy that water chiler on XS for a few weeks now, but the guy never responds to PMs. Will always need water for something and tired of high water temps. Can't phase everything.

Hey proth, dunno your location but I can probably wip up a chiller in not much time, hit me up with a PM with what your looking for.

Back