• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Honeycomb Mesh Removal - What is the right tool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White Runner

Since I've finally got all the pc parts to complete the equipment side of my build; my next step is to do some modding. Starting with the removal of the mesh on the front intake, as well as the top mesh where I have two 140mm exhaust fans, and rear exhaust mesh; needless to say, a lot of cutting.

Part two of my case mod, is to etch a logo into plexiglass/acrylic/lexan etc... so I'm really looking for a tool that can accomplish both of these tasks.

After searching the forums and Google for an hour, I believe a rotary tool (dremel) is what I need, but I'm just not sure which will serve me the best...

I believe this Rotary Tool is what is generally suggested, along with some reinforced cutting discs. Will I also be able to use an attachment for etching plexi/acrylic/lexan? Any advice on which specifically to get? Should I look for a rotary tool w/ a 100 piece kit or pick up the rotary tool and get what discs I need separately?

I've also watched a ton of video's about the Nibbler Tool, but I just don't think it will be the easiest way to remove mesh; at the least, I think I'd need to get a dremel tool to at least get the cut started...

I have Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's etc near by, so I'd probably go pick one up from there... I just want to make sure I'm getting the appropriate tools for the job.

As always, thanks OCF for any help or a kick in the right direction! I know this has been covered before, and to help those in the future, I'm going to turn this into a build log, to pass along any experience and information I may gain from this project.

PS - The 650D in my sig is the case I'll be modding...

I think a rotary tool would be your best option, especially since it's so useful for other things modding related or just for use around the house. It's just a good all-around investment in my opinion. I've used my Dremel to cut wood, MDF, aluminum, plastic, and acrylic.

You might want a file to get really smooth edges where you cut out the mesh; it can be done with a rotary tool too, but it takes more time combined with really steady and precise hands.

Is the Rotary tool that I linked in my post acceptable for multiple jobs? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like a tool that will last through a few different mods... and should I get an assortment pack of discs and tools? or just buy a dozen reinforced cutting wheels? I don't have a lot of experience with a dremel and its various parts....

I've got that exact rotary tool. It accepts Dremel accessories and it works really well. Having 3 speeds is nice, and it really cuts well on high speed. I bought the full accessory pack, I think it was $15 or something at Home Depot, and it came with a ton of stuff, including 10 or 15 reinforced cutting wheels.

Back