• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How big of a PSU do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElimGarak

Registered
My proposed build

MOBO - ASUS Max VI/VII Impact (Full board watercool) or Max VI/VII Gene (watercooled)
CPU - i7-4790k (watercooled)
RAM- 16G x G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 2400
GPU- EVGA 03G-P4-3888-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition (Watercooled)
PSU - don't know yet
Monitor - ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27"
Watercooler: Koolance 800w chiller
Case - CaseLabs S5

I know the KingPin is a beast, so it kinda makes it hard to estimate my power needs. I will be OCing the CPU and the GPU.

I'd appreciate your suggestions relating to having just one GPU (for the M6/7I), and another recommendation on running 2 in SLI (for the M6/7 G)

KingPin is a beast, but TDP is TDP.
Find the TDP (Thermal Design Power, which also happens to be electrical power draw) for your GPU and CPU, add 100w for misc, and that's how much PSU you need.

Why the chiller? How cold does it get? How are you insulating things?
You'd get far higher performance if you spent $80 of that $1400 on a good CPU heatsink and the other $1320 on a second GPU or more monitors or something.

I was gonna be doing -5 from ambient and not gonna worry about insulation...But maybe that is my inexperience talking...
Edit - The chiller was easier than an internal rad/pump config- I know it is expensive, but I also needed something portable.
Edit#2- The TDP is 250W- why does it say I need a 650W PSU? The amps I get, but why an almost 3x increase in wattage?

Last edited:
What's the point @ -5 to ambient?

Anyway, I'd go 850w on a quality psu. That will cover you easily. One of.the best is evga supernova g2.

GPU PSU specs are for the full system and are assuming that you're going to buy a PSU that lies about its specs by 30% or so.

GPU PSU specs are for the full system and are assuming that you're going to buy a PSU that lies about its specs by 30% or so.

*gasp* They wouldn't do such a thing, surely! :rolleyes:

What's the point @ -5 to ambient?

Anyway, I'd go 850w on a quality psu. That will cover you easily. One of.the best is evga supernova g2.

I didn't really want to worry about the insulation, and the hassle of putting it on. Also, finding the right rad, the right res, and the right pump, and having it be even relatively portable was a bit too much for me for my first WC build. I just wanted to keep it as simple as I could...I admit to my laziness. :)

Edit- Where would I even find insulation that isn't 50mm thick? I don't need anything that thick....but if I needed insulation, where would I find it?

Also, I was leaning towards the EVGA one, but I heard good things about the AX860i from Corsair- having the capability to monitor my power is compelling...any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really want to worry about the insulation, and the hassle of putting it on...I admit to my laziness. :)

You're going to spend $1500 on that worthless chiller and not insulate?

Tell you what: Send me the $1500, plus the cost of your board and chip, and I'll make you a video of me electrocuting the parts in a tub of water :D

The EVGA Supernova G2 the best psu on the market for the price. Doesn't get any better that that.

Given that a properly done WC setup would fit in/on the case it'd be more portable than a separate chiller.
It'd also give very similar temps, properly done WC maintains a coolant temp within a couple degrees of ambient.
Are you really going to pay $1000 extra for 10°C max?

:facepalm:

I don't know how this went from 'I need a PSU' recommendation' to 'OMG, you're doing a chiller! That's a horrible idea!', but it did.

I thought the chiller would be an easily portable way to watercool, esp since I LAN fairly frequently. If the PC didn't move at all, I would have an 80mm 120.4 with push/pull Noctua's and a fan controller with 2 res. Since it will move, I wanted it to be as simple and non-sloshy as possible, and also not be a grotesque external rad (a la Koolance)....

:grouphug:

Given that a properly done WC setup would fit in/on the case it'd be more portable than a separate chiller.
It'd also give very similar temps, properly done WC maintains a coolant temp within a couple degrees of ambient.
Are you really going to pay $1000 extra for 10°C max?

But how easy is it? Is it really portable to have all that rad full of coolant, and the res, and then move it around? This is my first build on WC, and I wanted it to be SIMPLE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. As he stated it's easier than a separate chiller... I mean.. think about it........

And keep the chiller talk to your chiller thread. ;)

Also, use.the edit function instead of double posting.

How big of a PSU do I need?, I would go with a EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2, you'll have power to spare :) and run SLI if you buy another GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition :)

There is power to spare to run SLI 780Ti's, including overclocking both GPU's and the CPU, with an 850W PSU. Its not until you get into volt modding/bios flashing that you would need more than that...

Don't waste other people's money. ;)

Don't waste other people's money? LOL, it's his choice.

Case in point EVGA SuperNOVA 850 = $145.00
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD = $169.99 after $30.00 rebate card at "The Egg"
Really it's a no brainer

Last edited:
Oh I don't know, I'd say a 1300w PSU is less of a waste than a chiller :chair:

Funny! That made me LOL!

After extreme unpopular demand I decided to drop the chiller...and that is THE LAST that I am going to mention it in this thread.

@Techjesse- you make a good point...I'll consider it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Corsair AX860i?

It really doesn't get much, if any, better than the Superflower PSUs right now, their top platform anyway.
EVGA found a good supplier for their G2 and P2 PSUs.

It really doesn't get much, if any, better than the Superflower PSUs right now, their top platform anyway.
EVGA found a good supplier for their G2 and P2 PSUs.
Are the Evga G2 and P2's Superflower units Bob?

Back