• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i change the refresh rate in the registry editor in windows 10 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What monitor? Normally that can be changed with your monitor's adjustments, at least I can do that with my Dell 24" monitors. Have you looked there?

You can't change that if it's out of your monitor's speces.

:welcome:
It's an odd question that has an answer but I think that the question is wrong. What are you trying to do and why? While you may be able to change the rate in the registry, that could also be the worst idea to do so. Forcing a resolution rate that 1) your monitor may not take 2) your GPU cannot take 3) may cause other problems when switching between 2d and 3d.

It's just bad form. It's like asking us how to you program the ECU in your car so that it is always at full throttle. You can do it but you really shouldn't.

So... What is your end goal? What is your hardware? Include CPU, GPU, monitor and your general hardware like MB and RAM. We need a full picture of what you are doing to make a recomendation that will achieve what you are looking for. Answering your question as is may not do you any good and may do harm to your gear. I'm not willing to do that to you. I want to help you.

i gotta be honest... i don't understand any of the "Why in Registry" either... especially since Windows 10 and 11 both offer refresh rate settings in the display menu. (granted, it only shows options that work with your monitor, like how my Dell 30" only shows 59.97 Hz, i know, weird it doesn't say 60, but it's close enough.)

What are you trying to do and why? While you may be able to change the rate in the registry, that could also be the worst idea to do so.
i gotta be honest... i don't understand any of the "Why in Registry" either... especially since Windows 10 and 11 both offer refresh rate settings in the display menu.
This and this... are you trying to run a refresh rate that isn't listed.

More information would be useful here. :)

i have the acer xf 250q 240hz monitor, my pc specs are i 9 10900k rtx 3080 32 gb ram when i go to the display setting and nvida control panel, it will only show 120hz how do i change the refresh rate to 240hz in the registry editor?
This and this... are you trying to run a refresh rate that isn't listed.

More information would be useful here. :)
i have the acer xf 250q 240hz monitor, my pc specs are i 9 10900k rtx 3080 32 gb ram when i go to the display setting and nvida control panel, it will only show 120hz how do i change the refresh rate to 240hz in the registry editor?

Why did you repost the same thing??

Does the option display if you check 'show unsupported resolutions' in NVCP? Have you tried adding a custom resolution?
From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Change resolution. Click the image that represents the display you want to affect. Click Customize, then from the Customize dialog box, click Create Custom Resolution.

Last edited:
I personally don't know how. Did you try what I suggested above? Have you tried a different cable? A proper HDMI 2.0+ or a different DisplayPort and DP cable? Just making sure all the basics are taken care of before such steps.

Last edited:
Johnny,

If you have to ask how to edit the registry peraps you shouldn't try. You're asking or trrouble making registry changes if you don't know ho.

so, i've done some google searches into the Q, and i keep finding more and more posts on forums asking the same question, and basically, the answer on those forums is always the same: there is no way to set monitor refresh rate in the registry.

EDIT: PostScript: the only regedit info i can find was from 20 years ago on maybe windows XP, and all it did was limit the max refresh rate, i think it didn't actually force a refresh rate.

Last edited:
Back