• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i check if the memory modules is Low density or high density

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hitman217

This might be a noob question but here's my issue.... i'm planning to buy new memory modules for my system either 1600 or 1866 and im thinking of getting the low density ones. Problem is, the specs doesn't show if it is high density or low density, not even the module configuration (128M or 64M) which is the only thing i know about distinguishing low density from high density memory modules. Is there any other way to determine if they are high or low density? Any opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated...:confused:

What does density have to do with what you're trying to do? I think you're over thinking this.

If you want new sticks, get the same ones you already bought. If they aren't made anymore then get sticks with identical timings, voltage, and speed. Or, if you don't want to risk compatibility issues, get a new set all together and sell your 8 gig set to a friend or something.

In any case, you want to get low density ram because they are essentially universally compatible, unlike high density which are proprietary. Don't buy anything off ebay unless it specifically says its low density. A lot of ram that mass production computer companies use (e.g., HP, Gateway, Dell, Emachines) is high density. On the other hand, all name brand aftermarket ram is low density.

Back