• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you access CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No you can't replaced the cpu that is on the card. And no you just can't buy a replacemant card. You might be able to find a Higher speed Slot "A" processor ( will be the whole cartridge). Amd stop making them a while back. If you want to upgrade it would be better for you to upgrade your motherboard, cpu and memory. To a socket "a" board.

The "cartridge" is basically the same as the bulk of a newer processor... the socket A processors have that bump in the middle... that is the CPU... the rest of the chip is just to distribute the CPU pins better... So the cartridge is just there to help the CPU distribute it's leads better which act the same as pins... So that cartridge is in effect your processor... just as the PCB with the core is considered a processor even though the bulk of the thing is mostly just silicon...

The Slot A cpu's are still sold here and there, they go up to 1Ghz, the they are pretty pricey. You might be able to find an 800 or something second had for a decent price. Yes it is the whole cartridge you change.

JDXNC said:
Found a 1Ghz here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3412913075

But you could get a 2400+ Ahtlon XP for that.

Man... the general public is littered with suckers... I sold a 450 MHz PIII for $45 last year when I was switching to my 1600... which cost me $52 and ran at 1.8 GHz... LOL And you go and look at late night TV and they're selling a complete 2.4 GHz 400 MHz FSB P4 system for $1600....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Back