• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you deal with lack of channels?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thanks for sharing the links, they look like the could be very helpful, right now I have a few places in the house that are right on the edge of the wireless coverage, gonna read that to see if i can get a bit more out of my setup.

in this area ch6 and ch1 are the most used the last time i checked.

Last edited:
A bunch of networks in the same area with everybody saying "Oh, I must add more transmit power to overcome the congestion!" just hinders everyone. The higher your transmit power, the more noise is produced, and the lower everybody's SNR goes. Multiple networks can share the same channel with no problems; that's why we have SSIDs. If there are really that many networks around, then you're probably in an apartment complex, in which case none of the routers need to transmit very far, so they should all turn the power down very low, to minimize noise.

A bunch of networks in the same area with everybody saying "Oh, I must add more transmit power to overcome the congestion!" just hinders everyone. The higher your transmit power, the more noise is produced, and the lower everybody's SNR goes. Multiple networks can share the same channel with no problems; that's why we have SSIDs. If there are really that many networks around, then you're probably in an apartment complex, in which case none of the routers need to transmit very far, so they should all turn the power down very low, to minimize noise.
Yes, if everyone boosted their power, then it would be a problem. Since 99.999% of the populace can't, don't want to and don't know about it, it is pretty safe.

I had the same problem about 2 years ago, almost every channels was cramped pack.
After long struggling, finally I gave up, and now using ethernet powerline and hookup them up cheapo APs in every room that I need good signal.

This proven to be working fine until today, be warned though, this solution its not cheap. :(

Yes, if everyone boosted their power, then it would be a problem. Since 99.999% of the populace can't, don't want to and don't know about it, it is pretty safe.

Yes, but my point was that in smaller spaces like apartments, it would be very beneficial if everyone could reduce the power output.

Yes, but my point was that in smaller spaces like apartments, it would be very beneficial if everyone could reduce the power output.

I have to agree. I live in a building that is (near signals are greater than) 4 floors. My wing alone has 53 units or so. If I look out my windows. I see the same building in mirror, 2 wings different address.
Stretch my neck. 6 floors 3 wings and longer x3.

If I boost the power and do it right. I can suck in a hundred+ AP's

Back