• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how does the 2670qm stack up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

i have a laptop shipping to me later this month with this processor in it.

also besides the hard drive what is the next weakest link?

dv6t Quad Ed
• dark umber
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
• 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
• FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• 30% OFF 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
• 15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview (1366x768)
• SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
• Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN
• Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

QM is a laptop chip but still works well. As lappie chips go it is among the best. It holds its own decently gaming. Good CPU. The weakest link is HDD and 6770 GPU. However, you can still game ok on it. If you wanted to game hardcore you could go to a 6970/580 mobile or something like that but you would have to ensure it fit, your unit could dissipate the heat, handle the extra power without killing your battery fast, etc. Not to mention lappy gpus aren't cheap and a PITA to get a hold of as most folks do not upgrade a lappy beyond CPU/SSD.

As it stands, its a FAST lap top that could use an SSD and will game ie WOW and Starcraft nicely.
You could likely run Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum and the like without issue.
Actually if you haven't played it, get a mouse and play Arkham Asylum its great fun and I think it'll run smooth on high
just don't Antialias or aniso filter. It ran for me on an 8800GTS and an inferior CPU. Why wouldn't it run for you? Your CPU/GPU are >.
Grand Theft Auto 4 will also run (get an Xbox 360 controller). As will Flight simulator X. Mass effect 1 and 2, no problem.
TONNES of games you can play.

Basically your new lappy has a better CPU and worse GPU than your desky.

I'd go to a 12 cell battery if they have them available at some point. The ones where it sticks out the back a smidge. Moar. Ist good. Unless this is one of those I bought a lappy for space concerns and it'll live at home things. Then forget the battery upgrade.

Last edited:
QM is a laptop chip but still works well. As lappie chips go it is among the best. It holds its own decently gaming. Good CPU. The weakest link is HDD and 6770 GPU. However, you can still game ok on it. If you wanted to game hardcore you could go to a 6970/580 mobile or something like that but you would have to ensure it fit, your unit could dissipate the heat, handle the extra power without killing your battery fast, etc. Not to mention lappy gpus aren't cheap and a PITA to get a hold of as most folks do not upgrade a lappy beyond CPU/SSD.

As it stands, its a FAST lap top that could use an SSD and will game ie WOW and Starcraft nicely.
You could likely run Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum and the like without issue.
Actually if you haven't played it, get a mouse and play Arkham Asylum its great fun and I think it'll run smooth on high
just don't Antialias or aniso filter. It ran for me on an 8800GTS and an inferior CPU. Why wouldn't it run for you? Your CPU/GPU are >.
Grand Theft Auto 4 will also run (get an Xbox 360 controller). As will Flight simulator X. Mass effect 1 and 2, no problem.
TONNES of games you can play.

Basically your new lappy has a better CPU and worse GPU than your desky.

I'd go to a 12 cell battery if they have them available at some point. The ones where it sticks out the back a smidge. Moar. Ist good. Unless this is one of those I bought a lappy for space concerns and it'll live at home things. Then forget the battery upgrade.

it originally came with a 6 cell and i upgraded it to 9. they do not offer a 12. im just hoping to be able to play gta 4., left 4 dead 2, and perhaps some killing floor. anything more demanding i will want to playo n my desktop anyway.

out of curiousity at what frequency would you reckon my desktop cpu wont be much of a bottle neck?

It will play them fine. The specs are more than fine. Especially given what you probably paid for it.

I have a lapppy running an i7-740QM and it is super fast and performs surprisingly well. The 2670QM is significantly better. As mentioned above it is one hell of a mobile cpu.

cpus.png

it originally came with a 6 cell and i upgraded it to 9. they do not offer a 12. im just hoping to be able to play gta 4., left 4 dead 2, and perhaps some killing floor. anything more demanding i will want to playo n my desktop anyway.

out of curiousity at what frequency would you reckon my desktop cpu wont be much of a bottle neck?

The Q6600? That's more of a BUS issue. bout 450 on the bus and bout 3.6 on the CPU. Most 6600s won't take much over 400 bus sadly.
My trusty E6550 took 565 like a rented mule. The quads don't do it though. GTA4 will toootally run. Left 4 dead the same. Killing floor I am not familiar with. It'll run all sorts of stuff.

PWN: Wow really it beats an i7 950? What's in there? Kryptonite? And the fact that there's a mobile that beats Gulftown is mindblowing. .

The Q6600? That's more of a BUS issue. bout 450 on the bus and bout 3.6 on the CPU. Most 6600s won't take much over 400 bus sadly.
My trusty E6550 took 565 like a rented mule. The quads don't do it though. GTA4 will toootally run. Left 4 dead the same. Killing floor I am not familiar with. It'll run all sorts of stuff.

PWN: Wow really it beats an i7 950? What's in there? Kryptonite? And the fact that there's a mobile that beats Gulftown is mindblowing. .

meh.... id like to get it to 3.2 again, but ive been battling chronic fatigue and depression lately and do not have the energy. i found a lump this weekend.. i might have breast cancer again. i wish i could just have someone do it for me. my old settings that i can remember were 356x9. i cant recall the voltage.

regarding "PWN" at least my 800$ impulse purchase went swimmingly.

meh.... id like to get it to 3.2 again, but ive been battling chronic fatigue and depression lately and do not have the energy. i found a lump this weekend.. i might have breast cancer again. i wish i could just have someone do it for me. my old settings that i can remember were 356x9. i cant recall the voltage.

regarding "PWN" at least my 800$ impulse purchase went swimmingly.

Sorry about your lump and your Q6600 but more so the lump.

Sorry about your lump and your Q6600 but more so the lump.

meh found out it was cancer on thursday. it looks like i wont need chemo this time around, but i will have to have more tests run. i need to stay hopeful and distracted! i signed up for 2 classes online, but would like my pc up and running by that time. i just had one hell of a day with hp customer service. they keep telling me different things every time i call one stated that i dont have this one option on the laptop mobo that would allow for the graphics card to be fully utilized.... im livid... spent 900 on it after tax and accidental damage coverage. laptops at that price should work as advertised and mentioned by both reviewers and a sales associate who supposedly had the same laptop... strong :( for the day.

Back