• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast is your boot time on Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question,
When does the prog consider the boot-up is complete?
On my ancient laptop (specs below) the boot-timer says 43secs, but when I time it on a stopwatch from pressing the power button to icons loaded and accessible on desktop the time is 15secs.

Laptop Specs:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise x64
CPU Type: Mobile Intel Celeron 560, 2133 MHz (16 x 133)
Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire 5315
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Crestline-GML GL960
RAM: 2037 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Disk Drive: INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3 ATA Device (120 GB, SATA-III)
Video Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (384 MB)

Question,
When does the prog consider the boot-up is complete?
On my ancient laptop (specs below) the boot-timer says 43secs, but when I time it on a stopwatch from pressing the power button to icons loaded and accessible on desktop the time is 15secs.

Laptop Specs:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise x64
CPU Type: Mobile Intel Celeron 560, 2133 MHz (16 x 133)
Motherboard Name: Acer Aspire 5315
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Crestline-GML GL960
RAM: 2037 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Disk Drive: INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3 ATA Device (120 GB, SATA-III)
Video Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (384 MB)

Good question. I'm not sure how it measures the speed but I would guess it's going based on timestamps from a log of the startup to the point that the "busy" icon(windows loaded but applications still opening up) goes away.

I was thinking a more accurate and definitive measurement would be a measurement of the time it takes to get from the desktop to desktop IE: time it takes to reboot from the desktop back to the desktop. This would give a good idea of the bios post time, windows boot time and shut down time all in one. I have measured my desktop to desktop reboots manually with a stop watch which takes about 24-28 seconds to reboot and for the busy icon to go away.

Last edited:
Once I get my Rig I will post here. Saved for now.

Will probably be like 5 Seconds with the SSD's :p

Once I get my Rig I will post here. Saved for now.

Will probably be like 5 Seconds with the SSD's :p

What setup? I plan to get another 830 samsung 64gb drive this month to run in raid, hopefully the results are reflected in boot time otherwise my ps3 might get it.

I like to think of the speed upgrades as precious life saving upgrades that allow more time consuming or producing vs time spent waiting on the computer...it adds up.

Back