• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how har dwould it be too....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

make a case?

he reason is, I needa new case for a new comp. This comp is ATX, but I want it as small as possible. I would also like desktop, as I am kinda liking those more than the regular cases. Anyway, it woul dneed ot be able to hold 2 hard drives and needs 2 5 1/2 inch bays. It would also need to be ATX. How hard would it be to make one? I would paint it black, BTW. Also, I dont really care what material it is. Anyway, how much would it cost to make at the cheapest? Also, is there a case like what I wnt that ooks cool that exists?
Thnx.

It would be fun to make one, it is not all that hard. You could use plexi glass or some type of metal. If you want to buy one, HERE are some nice ones, i wish I had the money for the Coolmaster line on that page, they are cool.

:D

wtf, it seems that that case is bigger than a normal case. **** that

Just build ur own from some plexyglass. would be a good weekend project and could save u some money

Building a case requires alot of tool experience, time, and materials costs.

Material options
Aluminum = $40
Lexan/Polycarbonate = $30
(you'll also need a motherboard tray)

Tools required
- Table saw
- Bandsaw
- rotary tool with sanding bits
- power drill or drill press

THen you have to go through the planning process in order to make sure everything will fit and to plan out how your want it to be assembled or held together.

Buffer said:
How about this 1, it looks smaller then teh last 1 u posted.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=11-130-113

I saw it. The problem is that it has 2 3.5" bays, but one is that ugly floppy thingy. Also, I have seen one that I like better. I also plan on painting it anyway. I wan tit chrome!

Ok, Captain Slug, I think you might of done it before, but it may not have been you. How hard would it be to convert a laptop cd-rom to IDE? Is it even possible? I would also need to convert a floppy. I could also use a laptop floppy and cram them in a 5.25" bay so I end up with a floppy, which would be kinda nice but is not a neccesity. If worse comes to worse, I will buy a mATX board and get a mATX. I wish they had a case that I could just barely squeeze an ATX board in :/

the cheapst way i can think of

is go to a used computer shop and buy the cheapest thing they got should be like 5 bucks

materials and tools and time would probably be wayyyyyyyyyyy much more expensive if you did it by hand

or even cheaper than that
go to a computer show and then jsut go dumpster diving

Do you think it would be possible to hack away at a micro atx case and squeeze an ATX in there? They are tjhe only ones I can find that are the right size. Or you can help me find a cheap mATX board for my slot p3 733 that supports SDRAM. That would make up for the amount of cash I would need to buy RDRAM.

ya, goto a shop that sells used computers and ask if they have any 'junk' laying around. I did that yesterday and for ten bucks I walked away with 3 ATX cases (with semiworking comps in them) 2 AT cases (with half-working comps in them) a laser printer and another crap AMD- K6 PC.. and he said I can come back and take whatever I want next time (from the selection of "junk"). All these cases are desktop cases. Dims 15" X 5-1/2" X 17-1/2"

is it possible to see any pics of these? Just so I know wat I may be able to score....

fudge, nm, that one won work because I wouldt be able to fit my two hard drives in it (well, withough putting it in the sloppy thing, but that would he UGLY.

I just bought one of these and it is very small. Can hold 1 cdrom, 1 floppy and 1hdd. Suppose you could mod it for 2hdds pretty easily. I like it being that its small and portable.

Back