• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot can PCBs get before they melt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I find materials science to be quite interesting, the fact that a graphics card can get to 90c and be perfectly alright is astounding. Apparently PCBs are made of copper? (according to wikipedia) which has a melting point of 1,085c, but the material the traces are on ... I know they can burn because I have seen people report graphics cards (to asus... lol) that reject RMA due to fire damage. So how... do they catch fire if their melting point is really high?

Last edited:
PCB's are made out of much more than copper. In fact, there is to be a non conductive medium between each layer and, AFAIK, copper is only used in the traces/connectivity. The board is predominately not copper but the other nonconductive medium mostly.

As far as melting and catching fire, two different things there boss. :)

PCB's boiling point is about 350°C (depending on which PCB as there are several). So yeah, you can get them fairly hot so far as PCs go before you have to worry about fumes or fires.

The PCBs are built to withstand the heat of soldering, so the GPU would desolder itself before the PCB started being damaged.

Back