• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is ram allowed to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

While system testing, I like to do the "touch test" (yes its a literal thing), and while everything else is keeping relatively cool, my ram is very close to failing the touch test, which means it's around 130F. How hot is "too hot" for ram?

Ram gets hot? Man I ran the stuff (DDR3) to 2800Mhz and 1.75v and it was only warm. What ram do you have and what voltage are you running it at? (I assume you are posting mobile as I do not see your signature)

While system testing, I like to do the "touch test" (yes its a literal thing), and while everything else is keeping relatively cool, my ram is very close to failing the touch test, which means it's around 130F. How hot is "too hot" for ram?

A few years ago I asked this question specifically to Patriot and Crucial support (both regarding XLBK and Ballistix DDR2 RAM kits @ ~ 2.8V).
They both told me 70 degrees celcius was their maximum safely allowable. I don't know if there is a safe temp difference for DDR3.

Burning to the touch is ok :attn:

But it would be a good plan to strive for lower temps, maybe by adding a fan or two :thup:

I can't believe its hot to the touch in the first place...my mere 2800Mhz at 1.75v was on an open air bench (no airflow) even...

for what its worth, 70c is CONSIDERABLY hotter then 130F. 130f is 55c.

it doesn't burn, its just "hot", which is odd, as the rest of the system is relatively cool to the touch, even the NB. edit: this is only during P95 testing!

Again, bob, what system is this running in (what kind of ram, speeds, and voltages), you do not have a signature.

Also what is the case and fan orientation?

it's normal that memory is running at these temps under load ... 55*C is actually not that much

Again, bob, what system is this running in (what kind of ram, speeds, and voltages), you do not have a signature.

Also what is the case and fan orientation?

Dont have a sig yet.

Its kingston hyperx 1600 ram @1.65v, stock settings.

it's normal that memory is running at these temps under load ... 55*C is actually not that much

good to know. It's not "alarming hot" its just everything else is so cool, it was the difference that kind of bothered me.

meh thats fine i have some ddr3 rams that get pretty warm... you wanna see some HOT ram try touching some ddr2 fb-dimms... mine have temp sensors and they idle at 74c can get upto 90c under load . and they wil burn your hand if you dont let them cool down before taking them out, even have warning labels on the side of the hot hand thing like this.

dont_touch_hot_surface.png

Learn something new every day. I had no idea stock ddr3 ram would get hot... 20 sticks in none got more than warm. Weird.

How about case and information...create a Sig so we don't have to Hoover information out of ya? :)

A few years ago I asked this question specifically to Patriot and Crucial support (both regarding XLBK and Ballistix DDR2 RAM kits @ ~ 2.8V).
They both told me 70 degrees celcius was their maximum safely allowable. I don't know if there is a safe temp difference for DDR3.
Maybe that's the maximum guaranteed temperature for reliable operation of the whole modules, but it's way, way below the temperature that will cause damage.

Here's what Micron says about their own modules, DDR3, DDR2, DDR, and SDR:

BUOA9kz.jpg

Micron's maximum operating temperatures match those of their chips, or at least 85C for DDR2 and DDR3.

About the same has Samsung and Hynix. Depends from series if it's commercial use then temp is 0-85*C and if it's dedicated for industrial use then max temp is usually up to 95*C.

Back