• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
i like my gameplay around 45-60, anything above like the 25 id get with my fx5200, depending on the game. ghost recon does more then fine in multiplayer when the frames are up at like 60, which they always are now that i have my 6600gt.

well, anything above your refresh rate is pointless, because it causes tearing and inconsistent fps. so i cap mine at 60.

I'd say 60+ when playing online. Especially fps games like BHD or Joint Ops. The only limiting factor in my current setup is the Monitor (16ms LCD, NESO Pixo).

bah! I'd never go below 120 fps (fastest my monitor supports) only for the original UT, but man...when I play with 120 fps on UT ~30-50% headshots 60 fps <~10% headshots, it makes a huge diff, esp when turning speedily.

I push my BFG 6800GT to the max on UT2004... but when I play Onslaught Mode, the FPS drops to like 35-55 cuz of the distance views. However, gameplay is still super smooth....

I'm not sure, on a CRT, I can see the screen refresh if the refresh rate is under 85hz, there's this dark line slowly moving from bottom of the screen to the top. however with LCD 65hz is optimal for me since with the refresh rate at 65 hz i can't detect gritty movement of the mouse. to tell you the truth, back in the days, even 29 fps would be tolerable to me... but time has changed as well as my taste... now days, i think 65+ fps on LCD and 85+ on CRT is when i don't see transistions for screen update and i'd be satisfied with that

I like how CS: Source automatically sets ur video settings to the most optimal for your video card. On my old 6800 ultra AGP it did 4x/8x, and on the 6600gt pci-x it does 0x/tri... I get decent fps bc it sets it to the card's optimal settings. :) Gotta love steam...

g0dM@n said:
LOL, I see why you hate queer eye, but why do you hate steam?

Well, for one, it seems you have to download HL2, they give the damn thing to you on DVD, why do you need to download it! Have you got ANY idea how long that will take on a modem?

Also, only being able to play their games when connected to the internet is gay, FACT.

yet another reason why ignorance ISN'T bliss. see, many people fail to understand that once you have updated all your files from Steam, you don't have to connect to the internet to play hl2 or anything Steam related. Steam has whats called an offline mode and will/should ask you at login if you would like to go to offline mode, or retry the connection. if you prefer not to connect, then simply click on offline mode and you should have no problem after that. and you don't HAVE TO dowload all of HL2. Steam just makes that option available for people who might've lost the discs, or prefers not to use discs at all. You're probably thinking more along the lines of updating and unlocking the files before play. That blows, yes, and you can thank the jackasses that stole the source code a year ago for that. Its just the world were living in unfortunately.

Last Chance is right about the offline mode.

MetalStorm said:
Well, for one, it seems you have to download HL2, they give the damn thing to you on DVD, why do you need to download it! Have you got ANY idea how long that will take on a modem?

Also, only being able to play their games when connected to the internet is gay, FACT.

Dude, you can still install it from your DVD or CDs or whatever it's on. You then only need to connect to the internet for updates and validating your account. Another REALLY COOL THING is that once everything is already downloaded you can then BACK UP to a hard drive, dvd, or CD. All you have to do is go to "Play Games," and then you right-click on the game you want to back up and in the right-click pop up menu you'll see "Back Up..." or something like that. Come on, guys... it's not that hard. Once you have the game fully situated on your PC then you can just back it up for the next install.

I format my HDD every 2 months or so, sometimes more often, and I just install from my backup from my other HDD partition... easy, simple, and quick!

Back