• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many outlets do I need in my gaming room?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLGamer

Registered
All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but, here goes!

I am building a dedicated gaming room and am curious as to what you all would recommend as to the number of electrical outlets I need. Here are a few details of what will be powered:

1. 2 desktop PCs
2. 5.1 surround sound system
3. A/V unit
4. 3 27" monitors
5. Wireless n router
6. Table lamp
7. Floor lamp
8. 22" monitor
9. Printer

That is all I can think of right now. Also, should I consider purchasing a UPS?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

~MLGamer

A single outlet and a "power bar" could do the job ;) But if you're in the proces of redoing walls, you could install a few more outlet so you'll have plenty of place to hook équipment. At least 1 on each wall is a minimum IMO, 2 being better if the wall is larger than normal.

As for the UPS, its all up to you. I have 3 UPS at home and i really like to know that my office, home theater and aquarium are safe in case of power loss or power surge.

It's kinda up to you, the number of outlets wouldn't really matter AFAIK as its probably all on the same breaker/circuit.

It's kinda up to you, the number of outlets wouldn't really matter AFAIK as its probably all on the same breaker/circuit.

+1 unless you split the circuit yourself to 2 or more breaker. Last time i made work like this i installed most of my outlet on a 15amp braker and one outlet on another single breaker for an AC unit.

Are you converting an existing room or building ad addition to you home? Either way there should be by building code 1 outlet for every 12 feet of wall. If in an existing room check the breaker rating, most likely it's 30 amps.

All,

WOW! Thanks for the quick attention to my post. I really appreciate it. Knufire: you always seem to be a contributor: awesome.

Kyfire: I am refinishing my entire basement. It is a blank canvas (a beautiful thing).

Cheers,

~MLGamer

I'd go for two outlets per wall, two walls per circuit, personally.
That gives you >3kw if you ever need it (you won't), and enough outlets to plug things in where ever you want.
If you want to go massive overkill you could put a high grade UPS per circuit before the wall, ala server rooms. That'd be expensive though!
If you lose power often, a UPS for the two computers isn't a bad idea. Doesn't have to be very big, just big enough to keep the thing powered while it shuts down.

1 plug every 2 feet on 20amp circuit with a seperate circuit for every wall.

This will provide enough power for everything and plenty of plugs to chose from.

Also if you have a floor plan setup you can set plugs higher where your desk will be for ease of access.

I love it, every person to reply has suggested more outlets and more circuits :D

Just to keep things going...

You could do four per wall, two high and two low, two circuits per wall, 20a outlets/wiring/breakers. :rock:

:comp:

Juts add a new 200amp breaker panel for the new room with 6 outlet per wall and one 15amp breaker per 2 outlet. 180amp total for the room ;)

:salute:

Alternatively, 220v will gain you some PSU efficiency! Not a ton, but a couple to few percent.

Are you converting an existing room or building ad addition to you home? Either way there should be by building code 1 outlet for every 12 feet of wall. If in an existing room check the breaker rating, most likely it's 30 amps.

30A? More like 15A or, possibly, 20A. You can't legally or safely put standard 120v wall outlets on a 30A circuit.

When I refinished my home office I went with a 2250w UPS that uses a 30A circuit, installed a 5-30 twist-lock outlet with 10g wire. It's powering 2 desktops, 4 monitors, modem, router, and a printer. Very happy with this setup and it had enough battery life to run my modem and router plus keep my phone and laptop charged for 4 days during a outage last summer.

Besides the 30A outlet I have three 15A outlets on each wall split between two breakers in a 14'x14' room.

It's better to have too many outlets and not need all of them than to need more outlets and not have them, especially considering the fun of adding one after the room is finished.

If you need 220V, install 2 such outlets.

Back