• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many watts do i really need ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

i am looking to get a good stable psu so i can overclock better with it ... but not sure how big i need to go ... was looking at the fortron 530 but was thinking that may be way to big .. right now i have a fortron 350 but i have bad fluctuation in my vcore.. drops from 1.76 to 1.70 randomly and at a good rate .. i dont think ive ever seen it stay on one particular voltage .. but anyways i have a

nf7-2 v2.0
barton 2500 (not mobile :bang head )
samsung ram pc2700
ti4600
maxtor 20gig
maxtor 60 gig
audigy gamer
dvd drive
cd rw drive
volcano 9
floppy
4 case fans
and some things running off my usb's

your vcore fluctuation might not be caused by a weak psu...they could easily be caused by the motherboard's onboard voltage regulators...

you should check the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails with a multimeter under full load vs. no load and then make a decision if you need a psu...

i had an antec tp550 that did fine for 10 months with stable rails (but the vcore fluctuated between 1.73-1.79v the whole time)...then the 5v rail started sagging, so i bought a pc power and cooling 510 and the 5v rail is back up to 5v...but the vcore still fluctuates from 1.73-1.79v...

but if you need a psu, i'd get the fortron 530

I used to think that the mobo's voltage readings were inaccurate but that it could be used for accurate readings of changes in voltage. Then I learned that I was wrong because one motherboard showed fluctuations of a few tenths of a volt for the +5V and +12V while a digital multimeter showed virtually no changes, and this meter could record high and low values. If a multimeter shows that your +5V, +12V, and +3.3V voltages are within limits, then your PSU isn't the problem.

Measuring the Vcore with a meter is tricky because you have to find it, but it's almost always at a MOSFET pin or metal tab. However, be really careful because your motherboard can be killed if your meter probe slips and shorts something. So before applying power, temporarily insert pieces of cardboard between the MOSFET pins.

well i just got the dand thing anyways.. it wont hurt .... plus i need a extra psu for a spare rig .. so ill just be happy either way .. all i know is its gonna be way better than my old one..ans if i find out my mobo is freeking on me than i'll just rma it .. i hope that will work and i thionk if it was doig that i would have justofiaction for doing so .. thanks guys i appreciate your post .. i

Back