• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much GDDR do I need to run my game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some games have built in benchmarks, others require a program that records FPS like Fraps or the built in one is MSI Afterburner to obtain the FPS data. In order to get the ram usage, you will need MSI AB up and read the values from there... Are you sure you are up to the task? Its not rocket science, but at the same time, you need to make sure things are setup properly to get the data. This being a very time consuming process, you want to get things right the first time to spare yourself the torture of reruns and invalid data... you make me nervous asking the basics, LOL!

Lol, I can try to do it at least.
It's just a case of learning how to properly record the data. I was hoping there was a program that would record the GDDR memory usage while running benchmarks and save it in a format I could straight upload.

If no one else has got a 1440p setup, then I'll happily run the benchmarks and try to record all the data accurately, but if someone else with a bit more experience with this can do it, I'll let them do it.

I think GPUz records memory usage. Click the Sensors tab, then make sure the 'refresh while in background' -or whatever it's called- check box is checked (it is by default). Tick the log box, name the file and then play away. It will put the results in a comma-delineated file, which you can then import into Excel for data manipulation.

There definitely isn't anything written for you to do a straight upload. Some data handling is going to be a requirement for something like this, especially if you want it in graph format.

I have a 1440p setup, but zero time to accomplish these tests. I will be more than happy to assist you with the testing process if you need it. Like I said, not rocket science, but needs to be setup right for valid results and to keep your sanity of redoing things if mistakes are made. :p

You just have to have FRAPS record the data with games that do not have built in benchmarks while MSI AB runs in the backround it will record the vram usage. Take those numbers and drop them into an excel spreadsheet as was done in the first post here. You can leverage funsoul for how he did the table formatting in the forum as I am not sure.

Hit me up if you need anything. :)

Use MSI Afterburner. Go to Settings and on the monitoring tab make sure "GPU memory usage" is checked as well as "Log history to file". You can open the log file using notepad or excel. Just find the highest memory usage from when the benchmark is actually run.

As far as testing...just be sure to include some simple (short) notes about what level/map/settings/etc where you started and where you ended the run as well as resolution.

A lot of the games have either built-in benchmarking tools or there are outboard tools available. Some of the ones that have built-in tools include:
Aliens vs. Predator http://downloads.guru3d.com/Aliens-v...load-2553.html
Bioshock Infinite http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/
Lost Planet 2 http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...t-2-benchmark/
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat http://downloads.guru3d.com/S.T.A.L....load-2433.html
Sniper Elite 2 http://downloads.guru3d.com/Sniper-E...load-2935.html
Tomb Raider http://www.tombraider.com/

tia for taking the time to do a little testing!

Last edited:
Quick update.
I'm finally getting around to this after a busy few days.
I'm downloading all games and benchmarks to run now, I've just run the "3DMark Welcome Test" to make sure everything is going good guns on this system.

Everything seems fine, going off of FireStrke, I hit a score of 10090, which seems about right, since I'm running the GTX 690 at stock for now and only have an overclock of 4..4GHz. Hit 2048mb max while running the welcome test as well.

I'll have all the results up in the next few days, currently downloading and running benchmarks.

Right, ran a bunch of tests and I'm too tired to do any more, if you want more, just let me know I'll happily run some more when I next have time.
These are all Benchmarks, everything was maxed out, either via in benchmark settings or via notepad documents and everything was at 1440p...
If I've messed up anywhere, my apologies, I'm very tired.
Also, one thing that confused me, for all these Memory Usage statistics, I was getting, for example GPU1 - 1217.105, GPU2 - 1217.105. Not sure if that means you double the amount of memory being used or not.
Either way, hope I was able to finally contribute to this forum lol.

AVP - 1217.105

Call Of Pripyat Everything on and Maxed (Crashed mid test to Window Mode, result before crash) - 1580.641

Call Of Pripyat Maxed - Advanced Options Untouched (Crashed mid test to Window Mode, result before crash) - 1191.762

Street Fighter - 1162.746

NBA 2K14 - 945.961

Resident Evil 6 - 1017.422

Sniper Elite - 2020.762

Total War Rome II Extreme + Unlimited Memory - 1967.395

Total War Rome II Extreme, x16AF, DOF (No AA) - 1939.543

Heh, I didn't notice until now but, you have a 2GB card (the other 2GB on the 690 is mirrored so its not '4GB' in total), this testing will only show a maximum of 2GB of use. You can see that in some titles you are already slamming off that limit at 1440p. With funsouls testing at 1080p, and a 3GB card, he was already past 2GB in a few titles.

I am thinking that this testing is best done with a card with more vram available to show the real usage.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't catch/mention that earlier. I thought you were using another card for some reason which would actually be able to gather the data needed.

Not a waste of time at all. Extra proof of concept - 2GB isn't enough for 1440p. Your GPU makes up for it with lots (and lots) of processing power, but strictly speaking, you need more than 2GB of vRAM for 1440p.

Definitely not a waste of time!

Alight then, just left thinking that the GTX 690 was a major mistake on my part.
Everywhere I've checked though, I can't find the HD 7990 beating the GTX 690 by any more than 10fps.

For a lot of games, you will not hit the 2GB limit. Once you do though, there is some hitching and such from the lack of vram. I am not sure if this affects FPS, I imagine it does, but not sure how exactly. Perhaps only when it is swapping out does it affect FPS? Not sure.

But yeah, 690 on 1440p to have the 690 last a while, I would not have done that personally. We mentioned in a GTX 690 thread of yours essentially to not go 2GB card... oh well. It should be fine for a bit, no doubt, but I would move on to a 3GB card at 1440p for sure.

Depends on when you bought it. ;)

Seriously though, it's only a mistake if it can't play the games you want it to play at the resolution you want to use. If it does that, than it was a good purchase for you at the time. The GTX 690 had inadequate vRAM when it started. They should never had limited it to 2GB/GPU. That said, all that means is that your GPUs need to work harder, processing more information faster to make up for the lack of buffer. As long as they can do that fast enough for you, your card is just fine.

People lose sight all the time of what is most important - does the part you purchased do what you need it to do? If so, then it was as good of a purchase as you needed it to be.

EDIT - Of course, if you have the budget and selling your card to buy a 3GB or greater card is in the, um, cards for you then it might be a good idea since you're playing 1440p.

For a lot of games, you will not hit the 2GB limit. Once you do though, there is some hitching and such from the lack of vram. I am not sure if this affects FPS, I imagine it does, but not sure how exactly. Perhaps only when it is swapping out does it affect FPS? Not sure.

But yeah, 690 on 1440p to have the 690 last a while, I would not have done that personally. We mentioned in a couple of your which GPU threads to not go 2GB card... oh well. It should be fine for a bit, no doubt, but I would move on to a 3GB card at 1440p for sure.

Yea, I'd already made the mistake of buying it when everyone started telling me to stay away from it lol. But you live and you learn, ask before you buy.

Depends on when you bought it. ;)

Seriously though, it's only a mistake if it can't play the games you want it to play at the resolution you want to use. If it does that, than it was a good purchase for you at the time. The GTX 690 had inadequate vRAM when it started. They should never had limited it to 2GB/GPU. That said, all that means is that your GPUs need to work harder, processing more information faster to make up for the lack of buffer. As long as they can do that fast enough for you, your card is just fine.

People lose sight all the time of what is most important - does the part you purchased do what you need it to do? If so, then it was as good of a purchase as you needed it to be.

Bought it a few weeks ago for £400, though cheapest I've seen in the UK on eBay is £490, so I'm happy.

I see what you're saying, it does just about do what I wanted it to, thanks for pointing that out.

I'll just leave the 1440p tests to someone with a 3GB card then.

A way to mitigate the vram issue is to run with 2xAA or none at all at 1440p. That will help things out when it starts to get bogged down with modern titles cranked. Both BF3 and BF4 use more than 2GB on default Ultra settings at 1440p, note.

Back