• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Thermal Compound Spreads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's awesome.

Some mod, sticky this, we could reference it all the time.

The only thing I think should be pointed out is that he won't be able to apply as much pressure as a mounted heatsink.

The only thing I think should be pointed out is that he won't be able to apply as much pressure as a mounted heatsink.

They also didn't apply heat. I'd be interested to see how much it changes after a burn in cycle. I can't think of a way to test that without burning out the CPU though. Maybe delidding and applying heat to just the top of the heatsink? Awesome post nonetheless!

Once I get into my build phase, I will be doing multiple mounts and different methods. I'm a complete novice at it so I hope to get some practice on the stock heatsink provided before I step up to a custom loop with better TIM. Also, I plan to take pictures before/after applying the heatsinks :)

Stock heatsink is a terrible device to practice on since its a pushpin mount and has trouble with consitent mounts in the first place.

Stock heatsink is a terrible device to practice on since its a pushpin mount and has trouble with consitent mounts in the first place.

This +1

Practice with an aftermarket heatsink.

Back