• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to change the CPU/NB and HT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wutthy

Hi guys, I've been trying to understand how the CPU/NB and HT works, but I still don't understand.
What I understood so far is:
in my case, my memory is - (4x4 ddr3 1866), so, I need to multiply 933x3, that is ~2799.
so, I have to put the CPU/NB frequency in 2800 and the ht in 2800 or less?
if I want to make a overclock (yes, I want), I need to put this value in 3000 or higher?

8300 what?

You are going to need to be more descriptive and clear with your posts for help my man. :)

I don't need to give more information... I just want to know how CPU/NB and HyperTransport works =)))

I don't need to give more information... I just want to know how CPU/NB and HyperTransport works =)))

I disagree. You may be worried about frequency parameters that don't even exist in newer chip architectures or that don't need adjusting. Especially if it's been a few years since you overclocked anything.

My understanding is that the CPU/NB is the communication bridge between the cache and the RAM. We usually think of it as the memory controller. If I recall, HT refers to the electronic pathways through which the CPU communicates with essentially everything else on the motherboard besides the RAM. But I could be very wrong.

In the pre FX generation of AMD CPUs the HT frequency had to be lower than the CPU/NB frequency or the computer would be completely unstable. That was no longer true with FX.

If you are using an FX 8300 you should not have to mess with the HT or the CPU/NB in order to get the memory frequency correct. That is to say, if you are using motherboard that supports memory at a frequency of 1866 mhz. Just choose XMP in the RAM frequency section. Sounds like from your first post you are making it harder than it needs to be.

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Last edited:
Boy you fellas are rough!!!

CPU/NB and HT can be increased via multiplier and or reference clock.

Yes 2800 to 3000mhz on these parts would be an overclock.

Boy you fellas are rough!!!

CPU/NB and HT can be increased via multiplier and or reference clock.

Yes 2800 to 3000mhz on these parts would be an overclock.

OP was not clear on what he wanted to overclock. CPU/NB and HT? Memory? Just the cores? It's not necessary to overclock the CPU/NB and the HT in order to overclock the cores on the FX CPUs.

And like you said, he could just change the HT and CPU/NB multipliers and not have to fool with BCLK. It was not clear to me what his goal was or what he was working with hardware wise.

Last edited:
I read it differently.

Hi guys, I've been trying to understand how the CPU/NB and HT works, but I still don't understand

CPU/NB is memory controller and hyper transport is the interconnect between peripherals.

Overclocking the Cpu/NB and HT yield small returns but can be a help in stabilizing a memory overclock and if pushed too far can cause instability.

It wouldn't matter if it was AM2 - AM3 as the systems are all the same excpect the difference in memory. DDR2 on AM2/+ and AM3/+ is DDR3. All 4 platforms overclock in the same fashion.

Yeah, that attitude really doesn't engender the warm fuzzies. However, all your answers are here:
https://www.amd.com/Documents/AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf

When you don't know something, it might be wise to assume there are other things you don't know, too. Very rarely is there are a one answer solution to an overclocking question, especially with Bulldozer. Being more responsive can get you access to a wealth of information on OC'ing that chip in this forum. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Back