• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to configure AIM with Routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Something some of you may want to consider is upgrading to a better router. Cisco uBR924's can be had for less than $200 on Ebay. That gives you a lot more control than something like a Linksys unit. You can create access lists and all the usual stuff that a full featured router has.

great deal. At work we mostly sell sonic walls. Thats a great router/firewall, more settings then u can imagine. But for the most part the home users are fine with linksys, and the ones that know better wont be asking questions on this thread so u see my point in recommending linksys here;)
but u are absolutely right, linksys is by far the best. However is it the top choosen router for home.

AZN

I like the linksys. But now I'm running into trouble's where there's not enough port forwarding space. All the spot's are filled on the screen. Between the two PC's it uses them all up. Is there a way to get more? or is there a better way to go about it then doing them all individually for each PC each PC.

I had a thought... yeah, just one..

What if you forwarded any ports to the network's broadcast address?

Forgive me if this is rediculous, as I don't know much about networks and I can't test it with my router (as it sucks).

Can O' Beans said:
I had a thought... yeah, just one..

What if you forwarded any ports to the network's broadcast address?

Forgive me if this is rediculous, as I don't know much about networks and I can't test it with my router (as it sucks).
I thought about that as well. But thought it was too easy so it probobly would'nt work. Or could possibly expose more port's to the outside world for hacker's.

AZN said:
What u must do to recieve files is go into FORWARDING of your router and enter port 5190.

How the heck do you do that? In fact, how do you change ANYTHING on your router?

Bump cuzz some people still have trouble with this.

what of you want to forward the port to more than one i.p, can this be done? so that both computers connected to the router can send/recieve files.

Righto here we go.

I am using my Linksys Wireless Acces Point /Router as an example.

In my house I have 4 PC's. Mine, my mothers, brothers, and sisters.

First thing you want to do to mess with router settings is access your router.

This is usually done at the address (in internet explorer)

The default password for my router is admin - but I changed it to something only I know. I suggest you do too. Consult your manual for the default password.

Now look at all the pretty settings! Now once you consult your manual and find the section where you can forward ports, you will be able to forward to IP's.

Now I don't know about all routers, but port forwarding will NOT work on my Linksys router unless all the PC's I am forwarding to have a static IP address. What this means is that each computer is manually configured with a permanent IP address on the network.. (instead of using DHCP).

Now if you are not using a static IP you will have to. But to keep the structure of this post simple, fill in the port range you want to forward and set it to the IP 192.168.1.xxx (xxx = the 3 digit IP of the computer you are forwarding too.. i.e 192.168.1.101)

Now I have my port range open, for the sake of being simple. forward down from port 2300 up to 5190. This way I can host a lot of directX games on the net without a problem and send files over IM's and receive too.

If you want to forward one port only, set the port range in both fields to that port. e.g. 5190 - 5190.

Now set the ports you want to forward to I.P 101, 102, 103, etc.. whatever you need. Don't worry if your PC is not set on that IP yet.

Now once those changes are applied in the router, we go to our Network Connection settings. This can usually be accessed from the control panel (Network option) or if you have the little icon in your system tray just click to the options through that.

This is how I have mine setup.

Ip address selected as manual

DNS - you should set this to whatever DNS your router is using. My router has a page listing that shows my internet IP, DNS, etc.. You can get yours from there as well, or consult your ISP for the DNS if you need to.

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Set your default gatway to your routers IP address.. typically 192.168.1.1

This is all you should need to be able to forward ports. Just make sure the IP on your computer is the same as the IP on your router that you set to forward ports.

Don't give any PC's the same IP.

I hope this helps someone out, and was easy to understand. This may or may not work the same on all routers however.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Nice little guide AZN. Linksys routers will forward ports only to one IP address per line...meaning that each line will forward selected ports to only 1 IP address, so I have to use 2 lines to run it for both computers.

Oh, and if you're having trouble trying to figure out how to change the settings on your router, you can generally use the http protocol along with the internal IP address of the router.

For me to get to my router, I use my web browser and go into:
http://192.168.1.1
and I can access my router. You should be able to easily find the internal IP for your router from the manufacturer site.

Back