• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to fix slow charging? Use a tooth pick to get dust out of your phones charging port!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Samsung ran everything with me to finally conclude there is something physically wrong with my phone only charging slow and not even recognizing fast chargers.

I took a toothpick and got out all the little balls of dust that had accumulated around the phone's USB-C Charging Port.

All of a sudden, even faster chargers work!

I wonder why the slow chargers worked and slow charging worked but fast chargers could not due to dust in the port?

I wonder why the slow chargers worked and slow charging worked but fast chargers could not due to dust in the port?
usb-c talks to devices through the config line (2 pins). If it cant communicate with the PD/device on the other end, it wont give out additional voltage/amps.

...think of your old Nintendo tapes and when you had to blow on them (and in the console, lol) to get the game to work.... dust on the pins wouldn't allow it to read the cartridge.

Edit: I use pipe cleaners and rubbing alcohol and that worked great whenever I had issues.

Last edited:

:shrug:

Clearly not a recommended method! Imma risk taker!!!!

EDIT: For people who don't want to click...forgot to drop this in earlier. ;)

If physical removal isn’t doing the job, there is a more extreme option one can try: rubbing alcohol.

Using a wipe and a toothpick, or applying rubbing alcohol to a bit of cotton that is then swiped inside the port can be effective for removing the clingiest of dirt.

However, make sure it’s isopropyl alcohol as opposed to ethyl alcohol since ethyl can cause significant damage to the hardware inside.

This can be risky, so be extremely careful so you don’t destroy the hardware. If you’re uncomfortable with the potential risk, it might be worth visiting your local Apple repairman instead.

Last edited:
I use one of those things you pop out sim cards with, though I'm careful because that's metal and it could mess up the pins in there if you aren't careful.

Who has the best deal for compressed air in a can?

So far I found onn. Electronics Duster Compressed Gas Cleaner at Walmart and if you have a Menard's they have a good deal on them too. Also Micro Center.

Hrm I've bathed electronics in 90% isopropyl before. Maybe it could degrade some dust / water seals but I can't imagine a moderate amount being dangerous.

Yeah, not going to change my method, lol. If blowing it out and making sure all the garbage is gone with pointy things doesn't work, just a little common sense goes a long way with using iso alco to clean the contacts.

...wonder who here hasn't cleaned their charger hole to get lint and stuff out?? Those sim card things work great and are my weapon of choice, too (one literally sits by my charging station in the office for many reasons).

Last edited:
4 pack for $13.97, so at $3.49 per 10 oz can, but only if purchased online with a minimum $35 order for free shipping:

Same 4 pack in Walmart stores sells for $21.88.

Back