• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well something isn't right, I installed super pi just to see what was what and I'm getting 1 minute + 1m times. Cpu-Z is showing the cpu @ 3.9 so again something isn't right.

No they weren't they are now I'll test again. Just tested again same result. I'll have to do some more testing later, thanks for all the help people. Question though any idea how to get the Lan drivers for it if possible?

Not sure, on benching OSes I never use lan drivers. I only install chipset and video. I save all of my submissions to a flash drive and upload them on a different computer

I was only interested because it would make life easier getting all the drivers needed for it to run properly. I'll work on it more tomorrow and post back with the progress.

Update, so I figured out the problem with Super Pi....sort of. The Nvidia drivers aren't installed fully because I need to install Microsoft .net Framework 4, which I just did using the standalone version of the download. It said it installed correctly, but when I tried re-installing the Nvidia drivers it still says I need to install "Microsoft .net Framework 4". Is there another program that I need to install to get the .net framework 4 to run correctly?

i wouldnt worry about video drivers if just running 2D benches on XP. (unless going old 3D benches)

i usually go install xp, msconfig and disable all processes, enable themes and plugnplay, tweak what you know, then bench. No lan, audio, security, nothing!

looking at hwbot submissions theres the majority using XP on Z87, so it must be doable.

i usually change bios to IDE for my XP HDD with many partitons, secondary HDD for WIN7 (which i switch back to AHCI)

USB drive to HDD format in bios, otherwise XP wont install properly.

i wouldnt worry about video drivers if just running 2D benches on XP. (unless going old 3D benches)

i usually go install xp, msconfig and disable all processes, enable themes and plugnplay, tweak what you know, then bench. No lan, audio, security, nothing!

looking at hwbot submissions theres the majority using XP on Z87, so it must be doable.

i usually change bios to IDE for my XP HDD with many partitons, secondary HDD for WIN7 (which i sewitch back to AHCI)

USB drive to HDD format in bios, otherwise XP wont install properly.

So far it's running D1nky, problem is even 2D benching is hindered if the video drivers aren't installed. I am also planning on using it for older 3D benching but I need to get the drivers installed correctly to do so.

damn ill remember that, i never used to when putting fresh installs on.

so was it just the AHCI drivers that needed to be implemented?

Yeah, I installed them alongside the Xp installation with Nlite and it worked. Problem is now trying to get the Nvidia drivers installed correctly. I also cannot find a Lan driver to get it hooked up the the internet, which is making it more difficult to get the drivers I need loaded.

what nvidia drivers you trying to use?
It doesn't matter what Nvidia driver I use, I need to get microsoft .net framework 4 installed correctly in order to install the drivers for the Gpu.

2 PCs when benching... gotta keep a lappy around for things like this.
I have the cold loop setup in my office with the rad hanging out the window so I can bench and use the AMD setup at the same time. Whats really nice is the CHV and the ROG connect. :)

Does .net 4 include all the older stuff. I thought they were seperate

i usually change bios to IDE for my XP HDD.

Just integrate AHCI into the original WinXP CD installation files like original poster did and there will be no need for IDE switching back & forth headaches.

Separate Physical HDD, no problems either. Beats taking the time to slip stream... but of course, if you are anyway, might as well.

Does .net 4 include all the older stuff. I thought they were seperate
I was thinking the same, does anyone know if I need to install the previous versions on .net framework in order to get .net framework 4 to install properly?

ehhh.......... I don't think so. I think that the DL will vary in size depending on what you have installed IIRC...

Back