• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to overclock memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glenna

Hi

I am running the following

i7-6700 3.4ghz (Not K model)
32gb patriot memory (4x8gb 3200mgz)
G1 Sniper Z170 (gigabyte) motherboard - firmware F4

In bios memory is running at 2133mhz and not the 3400mhz. When I turn on XMP in bios computer fails to start, turn it off again and it will boot.
I am using heatsink in box with intel CPU and have several large fans in my case.

Please help

Regards Glenn

Please post a link to the exact RAM you're using.

With the amount and speed listed though you'll most likely need to raise the VCCSA to achieve stability.

Did you try raising the VCCSA before enabling XMP as I mentioned?
Have you tried enabling XMP with only two sticks in the system?

What is VCCSA and how do i configure it in bios?

You go to your voltages, it could also be called System Agent Voltage or something similar.

Did you see the second portion of my post?

Check if it's working @3466 16-18-18-36, tRFC 460, command rate 2N, 1.35-1.45V.
VCCSA voltage should be adjusted at auto but if it won't work then check ~1.25V. Also VCCIO voltage can be set to ~1.25V.

Check if it's working @3466 16-18-18-36, tRFC 460, command rate 2N, 1.35-1.45V.
VCCSA voltage should be adjusted at auto but if it won't work then check ~1.25V. Also VCCIO voltage can be set to ~1.25V.

but the memory is advertised at 3200 not 3400.. are you sure?

Not to insult you or anything, but it doesn't seem like you know all that much about computers? If I may, I'd suggest potentially asking a friend to do this for you, if you know anyone who's more experienced in this sort of thing. You can end up doing much more harm than good if you get something wrong when it comes to overclocking, whether it's the memory or anything else. It's not a bad thing to be interested, but that's an expensive computer ya got there. You don't wanna mess it up. Even I prefer not to touch overclocking due to my lack of experience with how everything ties together :p

Not to insult you or anything, but it doesn't seem like you know all that much about computers? If I may, I'd suggest potentially asking a friend to do this for you, if you know anyone who's more experienced in this sort of thing. You can end up doing much more harm than good if you get something wrong when it comes to overclocking, whether it's the memory or anything else. It's not a bad thing to be interested, but that's an expensive computer ya got there. You don't wanna mess it up. Even I prefer not to touch overclocking due to my lack of experience with how everything ties together :p

If something on here gets to where the BIOS won't come up a simple clear of the CMOS should have it up and running again. It really isn't very much risk these days.

but the memory is advertised at 3200 not 3400.. are you sure?

This memory is probably based on Samsung IC. We have 2 popular Samsung IC on the market right now so I just gave you settings that will probably work on the worse overclocking series of Samsung. Better overclocking series will make about the same but at 16-16-16 and probably a bit lower voltage.

You can try it or not but you asked about memory overclocking so I gave you setting to try.
I just wouldn't count on much higher memory clock on Gigabyte motherboard but on the other hand you don't even need to overclock it to have good performing RAM.

Back