• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to reboot server remotely?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Can someone suggest some help on rebooting a server from a remote location? Currently I have splashtop on it but I guess the service is useless if the machine stops responding or hangs for some reason. Is there a powerful enough SmartPlug or something I can use to hook up to a desktop PC? I've only used smartplugs for smaller power hardware like IP cameras and lamps at home when it needs the occasional reboot.

How about something like this.

It carries a 15 amp rating so you should be ok from a power handling perspective.

How public? I wouldn't make it immediately accessible to the outside world, but if you have to remote/vpn into a network to do it I don't see why not. Most enterprises only buy servers that offer IPMI or whatever the OEMs branded version is (ILO, on Dell, etc)

How public? I wouldn't make it immediately accessible to the outside world, but if you have to remote/vpn into a network to do it I don't see why not. Most enterprises only buy servers that offer IPMI or whatever the OEMs branded version is (ILO, on Dell, etc)

If IPMI still works from the local network then that shouldn't be a issue either then. I assume I would just give it a internal static IP in additional to the public IP the server is placed on already right? Would I use the same NIC and configure it in Windows as well as the BIOS? I do remember seeing a second NIC next to the main NIC connected already.

For mine it was separate, looks l Iike a normal nic, just spaced away from the two normal nics

Same on Dell, it is on the lower left corner if you are looking at the rear of it. These had a PCIe based quad NIC in as well as fiber... those were in the PCIe slots.

On Dell it will say iLo/iDRAC or w/e its called. :)

Back