• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove change button in file properties

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

I was wondering if anyone knew of a registry edit (or something else) on how to remove the change button for open with from the file properties page.

My searches have come up empty :( , Does anyone have a simple fix for that issue. Thanks

Just curious as to why you want to remove the Change button?

A certain family member likes to open random unassociated windows files with the wrong kind of programs. I figure he will eventually break something and then I will have to fix it.

I saw that yesterday as I was looking for the button removal. That will remedy the root of the problem.

Thanks

Is there a way to undo all file associations a specific user has made/changed?

There may be reg files you can save for specific file types, but for all of them, if this is not about limiting the damage they do to their own Windows account... then the solution is the same as the quickest solution for all Windows problems:

Install the OS on a relatively small partition. Move all personal folders/files away from OS partition and never use it to store anything personal on it, then simply nuke the OS partition all the time.

It takes me 3-4 minutes to reimage mine and I do it all the time. You can dual boot and image one OS from the other. You can boot from USB and auto-reimage that way.

I don't think it has gotten to the point where it needs to be nuked. The person is a limited user on the computer and av and anti malware is set to update and run on its own. The environment is pretty much self sustaining itself, I just don't understand why windows would allow a limited user to change file associations (doesn't seem very limiting).

A limited user account normally doesn't have the ability / privilege to change file associations, including editing of the specific registry keys.

Those are individual restorations so he would have to know which ones the user changed.

If they are set up correctly, limited user should not be able to perform Admin changes that affect the entire system.

This does not show what I've searched for in my original post, which is how to remove the change button. Like c627627 says, I would have to know what extensions were changed in order to fix it. The few changed extensions I've noticed on the impacted computer aren't on the list of reg fixes. I'm just going to assume that you didn't understand my original question.

Those are individual restorations so he would have to know which ones the user changed.

If they are set up correctly, limited user should not be able to perform Admin changes that affect the entire system.

Strange, I've double checked and the account just belongs to the users group. The reg change to prevent changes to file associations will do, removing the change button would be the icing on the cake.

Yeah you sound butthurt.

Just reset the file associations back to default, I highly doubt you will be able to find a record of all registry changes.

There's nothing wrong with him or anyone else asking any Windows OS related question in here *without* doing a Google search. "Just Google It" replies are not OK any more.

How would he reset all file associations back to default, if resets are individual?

The OP is not going to find out all the changed file associations that have been made.

Reset the all the associations back to default decreases the chances of "This file cannot be opened by xxx"

He can do this by downloading the reg file supplied in the link I provided in my previous post.

He still sounds butthurt.

The OP is not going to find out all the changed file associations that have been made.

Reset the all the associations back to default decreases the chances of "This file cannot be opened by xxx"

He can do this by downloading the reg file supplied in the link I provided in my previous post.

He still sounds butthurt.

Have you even gone to the site that you have supplied? Those are individual file resets (as mentioned multiple times), and it doesn't even include the ones that I know have been changed. You really aren't helping. Throwing jabs at others and insulting them doesn't help either.

You could use the command line to import all reg files within a directory.

Look mate, if you know which ones have been changed then change them back.

You want to completely remove a button from within a file properties box.... good luck with that.
Or you could use the 1st link I provided to prevent people changing the associations.

The only way you are going to be sure that all associations are correct is to nuke the o/s.

Anything else and you are wasting your time.
In the time you have spent trying to solve this issue you could have provided the user with a completely working computer several times over.

Oh and when you do nuke the o/s, which I think you will, remember to lock down the system and refer to the 1st link I provided to prevent this happening again.

so, which version of windows are you using?
either way theres alot of tools on here there is a windows context manager, you could possibly be able to just remove the properties button in general iwth that lol :D idk lots of cool tricks and tips too just for anyone.
http://www.door2windows.com/

Back