• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to restore classic downloads window behavior in Firefox 26 +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I started using Firefox before its v1.0 release. It took a big bite out of Internet Explorer and although people are correct when they say that it did so due to huge security holes in IE at the time, the importance of the other reason is often overlooked: customization. Ability to customize is one of the key factors when choosing a program for experienced users. Firefox had it. Internet Explorer did not.

Sadly, Firefox has been moving away from that model, with Firefox 26 now completely taking away the ability to launch a download window automatically when you start a download in the same way it could be made to do in versions before v26.

Firefox forums have stickies about this issue and my favorite comment I read on this was:
Caspid said:
The fact that there needs to be a support topic and explicit instructions on how to use the new download manager says a lot.

I agree. Something is very wrong when head developers approve a feature requiring instructions to explain how to use and that somehow justifies gutting and throwing away a simpler similar/identical feature a product already had.

Luckily there is a solution through this add-on: downloads window:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downloads-window/

It restores classic downloads window behavior in Firefox 26+.

Last edited:
December 24, 2013
by c627627:

Thank you for saving us from the new Firefox Download Manager. Won't you please consider giving us an option (just an option) to Clear all Downloads automatically as soon as they are finished downloading so that the download list *only* displays downloads in progress - not old and completed downloads. Also there should be no limit to 3 displayed downloads.

December 24, 2013
by ungram (Developer):

Fixed in 0.4.0.

:attn:
Now there's a rare Five Star developer, it took him less than 24 hours to grant that request!

Attachments

• FirefoxDLManagerFixed.jpg
    FirefoxDLManagerFixed.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 77
Back