• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Softmod your 9800NP/Pro into XT.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I flashed it worked great, read all 16 pages before i flashed it thou i wanted to see what everyone had said about it, i have the built by ati card and it seems to work well. i did oc my card to the XT speeds to see how well it ran before flashing. i gained alot in 3D Mark 03, happy for that and a few of my games run smoother, for whom that used Ati tools, how many seconds is acceptable for the artifact scan? i ran it for 14 minnutes before i got a artifact and the clock timer reset. i also tryed to clock the card higher than the xt speeds ater flashing it and i didnt have any luck, so in my case it is better to stay at the Xt bios setting,

only thing is my 9800pro bios didnt save to floppy, i seen some links posted in this thread for them but the links were dead, anyone have a BBA 9800pro (stock) bios they can hook me up with, it would be appreciated.

So whats next for our softmoded 9800xt? mabey voltmod?

Omnious said:
I flashed it worked great, read all 16 pages before i flashed it thou i wanted to see what everyone had said about it, i have the built by ati card and it seems to work well. i did oc my card to the XT speeds to see how well it ran before flashing. i gained alot in 3D Mark 03, happy for that and a few of my games run smoother, for whom that used Ati tools, how many seconds is acceptable for the artifact scan? i ran it for 14 minnutes before i got a artifact and the clock timer reset. i also tryed to clock the card higher than the xt speeds ater flashing it and i didnt have any luck, so in my case it is better to stay at the Xt bios setting,

only thing is my 9800pro bios didnt save to floppy, i seen some links posted in this thread for them but the links were dead, anyone have a BBA 9800pro (stock) bios they can hook me up with, it would be appreciated.

So whats next for our softmoded 9800xt? mabey voltmod?

Just wondering which 9800XT bios you happened to use? Did you use the BBA or Gigacube? Thanks

Jared

__TRONIK__ said:
a hardmod is actually physically changing the hardware, ie a voltmod. This is a form of softmod since a bios is just a software program.

actually, this is a firm-mod. the bios is inbetween hardware and software and controls the hardware, so its "firmware". softish, but oddly hard.

oooh er......sounds rude dont it?

LOL

I have a 256meg sapphire 9800pro with hynix 2.5 ram and an r350 core, its on an xt pcb. Can i still flash mine if so do i have to get a 9800xt bios with the hynix 2.5 ram?

Jacobman said:
I have a 256meg sapphire 9800pro with hynix 2.5 ram and an r350 core, its on an xt pcb. Can i still flash mine if so do i have to get a 9800xt bios with the hynix 2.5 ram?

yes and better to use the same card Bios.. like you got sapphire than use the sapphire XTBios Flash i use it for my self works good ;)

just did this mod and it worked like a charm.... had a hellava time trying to get the floppy drive working (completely forgot the power connector :banghead) and dont forget to rename the new bios to something shorter... like ati.bin

Radius said:
yes and better to use the same card Bios.. like you got sapphire than use the sapphire XTBios Flash i use it for my self works good ;)

Well i used the ATI one and all the numbers were identical so im guessing they are the same, am i correct?

Ok, i have the Sappire 9800pro (256bit) 128mb card on a PRO pcb. The core is the r360, for cooling i use the VGA ArcticCooling Rev 3. For those who have flashed this particular card to XT. Which XT Bios would be the better one for this card? I know there is probably a few out there...just trying to find out which xt bios seems to be the better. Yes, i have no problem reaching the stock + speeds. Using ATItool....i've had it o/c'd up to 420/375-380 without any artifacts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.....! :burn:

FIC card

Here is another question to add to the many........

I have a FIC 9800 pro 128mb card.
They do not make an XT (or at least haven't seen a bios for it). Can I use another bios?
I take it I have to use a bios that is for a 128mb card. Haven't seen very many for it, most are for 256mb. Were can I find a good bios?

Thanks

Propilot - Match the memory on your card to the XT bios with the same memory. Even if it says Sapphire bios or whatever......It depends on the memory.

casemodder - Same advice.

There is really no way of officially knowing if a certain bios will work or not. You just have to mix & match bios's to your memory......Also mix & match GPU's to bios's as well. I'm guessing a 9800 SE softmodded to a 9800 Pro probably will not softmod again to a 9800 XT, but again there is no way of knowing that until tried, I wouldn't try that personally........

I found out my FIC card has the R350 core with Sam. mem.
It does 450/370 oc, but could it be flashed to the XT bios?

Also most of the links for bios are bad. Anyone have a good link?

Thanks.

this is probably a stupid question, but can you use the 256mb 9800XT bios on a 128mb 9800pro? I know 9800XT is only 256mb but in my mind that wouldn't work...

Last edited:
Back