• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Up FSB past 200mhz on A7N8X Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveDave

I'm a noob at this so please bear with me. I've got a Athlon XP 2500+ barton on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo Rev 2.0 with bios 1007. I've read and been told that I should be able to get the FSB past 200mhz, but in my bios I don't even have that option. All I can do in my bios is set the FSB to 100,133,166,or 200mhz. How do I ask it to run beyond that?

in your bios setting go advanced chipset features after go to system perfomance set it to user defened anknow go back to the menu of the fsb and all the range will be availbele up to 300 fsb
good luck

Careful messing with it past 200. I corrupted my BIOS (would no longer POST) trying 220. Worked with 210 and 215.

Thanks for the tip. Bios corruption seems to be a common theme in several threads. I'm currently at 200Mhz with my 2500+ Barton with stock voltage and I think that's where I'll stay with the processor.

Is there any risk with adjusting the memory timings though?

look, you shouldn't have bios corruption by overclocking, just bios shut down, all you have to do is clear cmos by moving the jumper, or removing the batter and unplugging computer

you should list all your components/settings in your signature, like me, so we can help you w/ your specific needs

this board will do all the fsb you can throw at it w/ a little help
for instance, a vcore volt mod is almost necessary on this board, very very easy to do, also, memory is an issue, especially w/ timing if you have corsair, but again can't help until you list your property

If you want to be stable over 210 with this board, you will need a good PSU, and along with a volt mod.

But reading up on the volt modding, Ive been reading about the horror stories about noobs doing volt mods, and I think I am still a noob when it comes to volting my mobo, Maybe in a month or so.

best advice on teh vcore volt mod is to unplug the machine, and pull out the cmos batter, also good to have a multimeter to check max resistance, if the pot is set to 0 resistance, you can have problems, BUT, the a7n8x does have a over-volt protection circuit that will trip past ~ 2.20volts, so if you have it turned the wrong way, it won't post, so just turn it back all the way the other way

in my first(noob) volt mod, i dropped metal objects all over the board and had it turned the wrong way, still kickin w/ no problems, just my experience though

No I definatly corrupted my BIOS while OCing. Believe me, I tried clearing CMOS about 10 times. I ended up buying a new BIOS, which is ok cuz now I have the old one as backup. I've seen and heard from my friend Sentenial that this is somewhat common with this board.

Molester, I too corrupted my bios while ocing. I was trying to push my rig in dual channel and bang it happened. All I had was fans spinning and lights on. No beeps nor post. I clear CMOS and it did not work. A new bios chip from Asus saved me. Anyone who owns this board and plans to OC needs a spare chip. This board is sensitive to OCing. I have done 3 hot flashes since then.

Oh dear I didn't realise you can corrupt your bios by doing that. I ran my board at 235FSB for a few minutes...

Quattro said:
Oh dear I didn't realise you can corrupt your bios by doing that. I ran my board at 235FSB for a few minutes...

Not every rig is the same. In your case, you did good because you have good memory! I had eLixir PC3200 CL3 and I believe this memory caused the corrupted bios problem. Since I installed Mushkins PC3500 Lev II, I can push my rig until my power supply quits on me. Also, I have not experienced any more bios checksum error nor corrupted bios!!!!! Go MUSHKINS BH-5!!!

yeah, asus a7n8x isn't an equall ram opportunity employer, lol

what's funny is when ppl had a problem w/ corsair, hell, they made a bios revision specifically for it, all the other lower end stuff, nah, lol

also, speaking of mishaps in oc'ing, i was testing voltages on my mobo, you know, to get used to using a multimeter:

1st: if you have the uber bios w/ the chipset voltage adjuster, it's true, changing the voltage in the bios does absolutely nothing, though i was surprised the 2.9v in the memory voltage option produced a 2.900v read-out on the multimeter!

2nd: take caution w/ not only what you touch, but how many things you touch at once, lol, i got lucky, nothing happened, lol

anyways, if you do have the a7n8x deluxe 2.0, it's recommended you do a vcore volt mod(which i've done), and a memory volt mod(which im doing tomorrow), most over at nforcershq.com forums tend to agree the chipset volt mod is unecessary on the 2.0 to attain higher than normal fsb o/c, upwords of 240 and even 250, ill let you know how i do when i put in the memory volt mod

also looking forward to getting my AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ Barton next week, hope to shoot sky high w/ that

If I am maxed out voltage wise in Vcore and Vdimm and my computer does an uncommand power off, is this related to the power supply? I mean it just quits, blank screen, power off. What can be the cause of that?

"Testing parameters for XMS3500 CAS 2:
CPU Speed: Manual
CPU External Frequency: 145
CPU to Memory FSB ratio: 4:6
SDRAM Configuration: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T
SDRAM RAS Precharge (tRP): 3T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T
SDRAM Command Control: 1T
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Banks
Memory Voltage: motherboard default*"