• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP G62x-400 repaired

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

Hello all!

Yesterday I got the black screen of death on my HP G62x-400. I did a bunch of searching and found some good info, none of which fixed my problem. I wanted to share my repair experience just incase someone has the same issue.

[Long Story]
The two popular causes of the wide spread G62 black screen of death were either the processor/GPU overheated thereby de-soldering the chip OR the bios battery dead causing some kind of issue recognizing the monitor.

The laptop has never been used for GPU or any CPU intensive tasks and never showed any signs of overheating so I thought the de-soldering was a low probability despite the laptops questionable cooling setup. I hooked up at TV via HDMI and got an output, which brought me to the conclusion that the GPU was likely ok.

I then began the task of replacing the BIOS battery which I knew was dead for a long time (laptop hasn't kept time in over a year). This involved removing keyboard, memory, network card, SSD, and DVD drive. After that I had to open up the case and remove the mother board (thank HP for end user friendly design). I then replaced the battery with a brand new one and re-assembled. Computer booted as it did before with no integrated screen output.

This is the point where I started to physically dig... I removed everything this time closely examining for any kind of visual damage, heat marks, etc. I then decided to remove the screen bezel and the screen to see if I could find anything.
[/Long Story]

[Short story]
The display cable runs from a plug on the far left of MB through the hinge and in to the back center of the screen. When I removed the screen he cable was still in the socket on the back of the screen but not fully seated! It appears the tape that was apply to the cable came unstuck. I plugged it back in a voila!
[/Story]

I hope someone can learn from my troubles.

Back