• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Pavilion 9680c PIII 650 - need advice upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wulfit

Howdy out there ...

Does anyone have experience with upgrading HP Pavilions w / PIIIs? My 9680c has a PIII 650/100/1.7 Slot 1 processor and I have recently updated the chipset's firmware (BIOS). HP says that the maximum processor speed THEY support for this model is a PIII 800Mhz. I'd like to upgrade to a 1000 or 1133 slot 1 if that is possible. My cpuz results are published here:

http://home.netcom.com/~ituma/cpuinfo/cpuz.htm

Please let me, and everyone else with an old HP out there know, if HP's precautionary 800Mhz limit is just based off of what the originally loaded BIOS would support.

Thanks a bunch,

Wuf

I think that you might well try a 1GHz processor. There are 1GHz Processors with a 100MHz fsb although they are rare in Slot 1 and possibly there is a bios problem with PIII Coppermine though this is doubtful. Certainly you will be able to use a slotket and a 1GHz/100MHz fsb processor so purchasing a slotket and socket 370 1GHz/100MHz fsb P3 will do the trick.

It would seem that the Tualatin converter and Tualatin processor will not work with your system unless you use a bios patcher and that can be risky.

Regard:

Click here for information regarding bios patching for your HP Pavillion 9680C

R

Thanks ... I contacted a guy on ebay who deals in a $119 boxed Tualatin upgrade ... he says it cannot be done but didn't say whether it's a form-factor issue, or the BIOS is not upgradable to accept anything anything other than an 800Mhz processor. I'll ask him if he's tried using the BIOS Patching.

WUF

Back