• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP z600 memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blacha_zdw

Looks like you bought 10600R which the R stands for Registered memory.

correct. Registered should not be supported. But what memory is supported? Unbuffered? ECC?

That all depends on what CPU and motherboard are in the system. There are many configurations of the HP Z600.

It supports both, registered and unbuffered DIMM. Both can't be mixed. CPUs support registered DIMM so there is only question if motherboard supports higher capacity modules.

Most is in the linked PDF, here is info how to check if it supports registered memory that you purchased:

Support for Registered DIMMs on the Z600 requires a systemboard with the C2 revision of the Intel 5520
chipset. Two methods are available to determine if a specific Z600 system has the C2 revision of the
chipset. 1. Use the BIOS setup menu to access the "Boot Block Date" from the "System Information Menu".
All B3-based systems will have a "1/30/09" date and C2-based systems will have a "01/07/10" date. 2. HP
Performance Advisor SW can be used to determine the PCA ID, which is reported by Performance Advisor
under "System Configuration" and "Baseboard ID". All B3-based systems will have the ID "0AE8h" and all
C2-based systems will have the ID "0B54h".

Looking at the links in 1st post, you are using standard registered ECC memory. Memory in 2nd link should work with C2 chipset revision. I'm not sure if C2 was adding higher memory capacity or just ECC Reg support.

I would also check if you are installing memory in correct order - 2 modules per CPU.

Last edited:
thank you for quick reply. CPU-Z says I have 0AE8h so B3 version of motherboard. Currently I have installed such 6x Kingstion RAM : http://www.memory4less.com/kingston-2gb-ddr3-pc10600-9965439-048-a00lf
So it is Registered ECC with B3 version of motherboard. Here appear questions. Will it support 6x 4gb PC3 1333MHz 10600E or 6x 4gb PC3 1333MHz 10600U? As I understood 6x 4gb PC3 1333MHz 10600R will not be supported. Am I correct?

Back