• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

html sidebar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

ok, heres my problem.
i'm making a website for a school project for this person. it has a navigation sidebar on the side, that i decided to put in a frame as all the content given to me was in microsoft doc format, which was easily converted into html (so i didnt have to change anything, just load it into the frame)

my problem is that the sidebar sometimes is too large, and on some browsers or at certain resolution, some of the link buttons can't be shown.

i want to change it so that the sidebar attaches itself to the side of the page, so that the whole thing scrolls. that way the sidebar wont get cut off. is it possible to do that with minimal amounts of editing done to the code? or is it possible to make it so the main scrollbar scrolls both of them at the same time when its too big or resize it to fit? or something like that.

i'm a bit past my duedate, so i need a solution that won't take alot of time or editing.

With frames, you can't make the document scroll together. If you use the IFrame tag, you might be able to get this to work.

Another possibility is to put the sidebar in an #include file. Include files can be written in html, but do not have to be complete html pages (no <head>, <body>, <html>, etc... tags are needed, though full html page includes are common as well). The include file can then be placed in a table cell. The term for this is server side includes, or SSI. Whether you can do this depends on the web server and the permissions set up on it. It's very simple.

Here is a good link for SSI. SSI is available in Apache 1.2 and higher. It is available in IIS 5 and higher (possibly lower, I'm not sure).

Last edited:
Back