• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huygens lands on Titan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyrinon

14 January 2005 ESA PR 03-2005. Today, after its seven-year journey through the Solar System on board the Cassini spacecraft, ESA’s Huygens probe has successfully descended through the atmosphere of Titan, Saturn’s largest moon, and safely landed on its surface.

:clap: More info here. :)

This is absolutely amazing. I have been following this for the last year or so. The pictures are incredible. I can't believe no one else has posted about this yet.

You can go here to download a couple sound clips (mp3's ~440kb each) of Huygens during the last few kilometres of its descent onto Titan! Awsome stuff! :thup:

That is pretty cool. I am amazed every day at the information the internet has made available.

Are you snowed over in Yakima? I used to go to Stottlemyer baseball camp in Yakima every year.

Yep, the radar MP3 was very neat.

It's amazing that everything on this mission worked well !!

It's a pity though that it has taken 7 years. I bet that the guys
on the project would have the opportunity to put on some of todays
comps, cameras etc. Seven years is a long time in these areas !!

The Wizard

The mission that is truely holding my interest is the 2009 mission to drop a probe through the ice on Jupiters moon Europa. NASA believes there are liquid oceans under the ice on Europa and organic material (algea? bacteria? maybe just dirt?) is surfacing through cracks in the ice. It is belived that there are thermal vents under Europa's ice similar to what is found on the bottom of the oceans here on earth. Places light never makes it too, places where life has evolved to feed on sulfar and the boiling hot water at incredible pressure....

The Deep Impact mission that just launched is something to look forward to as well. The images should be pretty spectacular when the probe slams into Tempel 1. :eek:

Back