• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper lube or water wetter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razorseal

I just read a couple threads on what to use, and learned that water is the best way to go... too bad we can have aliens grow out of them, so I have to go with some kind of corrosion/bacteria killer. So my question is, use WW or Hyper lube?

I don't want to order anything online... I just want to go to disc. auto parts, and pick one of the two... I used WW before, but not knowing distilled was the way to go, I used like half and half of both.... this time I will put just a bit of WW or whatever I get to tint the color of the distilled water and thats it...

so whats it gonna be guys

LOL 50/50 that must have reeked to high heaven! A lot of people here stand by water wetter so I'll be the first to recommend it. I used it on my first watercooling loop when I first joined the forums and it worked like a charm.

yeah it does seem to work....

today is this computer's last day, so just to test it real quick, I flushed the old one 50/50 and put 100% distilled water... well to my surprise, i'm getting +5 on the CPU.

maybe the 50/50 WAS a good combo :p

and actually it didnt stink (expect my hands which did because I got some on'em lol)

I guess I sort of answered my own question here after doing my little test.

now the Q is... what ratio to use?

All you need is a surfactant. It doesn't matter what brand,color, or creed. Even dish washing liquid (like Dial soap) is a surfactant. However most store bought "water wetters" have an anti foaming agent in them which makes them ideal for bleeding a water loop.

Surfactant: A liquid that reduces the surface tension of another liquid (ie detergents).

You just want as many water molecules to touch the water block surface and the radiator surface as possible. Thats what a surfactant does. It breaks the bonds between water molecules and allows it not to "stick together" and interact with its surroundings more readily.

Yeah you only need a capful for the entire system, you should still see a drop in temps.

so any reason as to why my computer is running hotter with pure water right now? i'm seing +5 temps compared to my like near 50/50 mix? (it was more like 30/70) actually

Pick one or more:
1. Your room ambient is warmer
2. Your loop has air pockets
3. Your fans are running slower/different fans
4. Your block is not seated properly
5. Your temp probes aren't calibrated/used different temp probes

Hy-Per Lube over water wetter NO DOUBT. Water wetter sux for our application, it stinks and will separate into solids. I have used hy-per lube with great success. Just dont use too much, maybe 3% or so is all you need.

nikhsub1 said:
Hy-Per Lube over water wetter NO DOUBT. Water wetter sux for our application, it stinks and will separate into solids. I have used hy-per lube with great success. Just dont use too much, maybe 3% or so is all you need.

If you are using distilled I don't see water wetter having any problems with precipitants.

"The composition of tap water is varied, but it will typically contain fairly high concentrations of Ca2+ and Mg2+ (dissolved Calcium and Magnesium). Some tap water even contains copper and lead, which are not particularly good for your health. When these ions are placed into a cooling loop with dissolved CO2 and Water Wetter™, then eventually solid phases (CaCO3 and/or MgCO3) will start to precipitate out"

So if there are very low/trace amounts of Calcium and Magnesium in your loop from previous contamination. You have nothing to initialize the precipitation.

Back