• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper-V and Alder Lake-S issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I don't think anyone else started a thread like this and since I wasted a lot of time on this problem then I wanted to share. It's somehow hard to find on google.

If after enabling the Hyper-V role on any OS like Win10, Win11, Server 2019, or Server 2022, the OS doesn't boot then:
1. Disable E-cores in BIOS
2. In case of other related problems, Disable the VT-D option in the virtualization setting in BIOS

Can you confirm this also happens on a fully updated Win11 build?

What I could find out so far:
.) Windows Server Hyper-V: Tons of reports saying it does not work with E cores enabled even on Server 2022. Noone claiming it does work with E cores enabled.

.) Windows Client OS: Only this thread claiming it does not work on Windows 10+11
This thread on Dell forum claiming it works on Windows 11 with a 12700H laptop and he can also use all 20 cores:

Feedback I received so far (will be updated when I receive more):
.) I asked Intel on their support forums if 1260P on Win11 will work with Hyper-V and after asking internally they replied that they do not know of any issues.

.) Tried asking Microsoft on techcommunities and Q&A: No response received

.) Tried asking Dell: No response received

Can you confirm this also happens on a fully updated Win11 build?

.) Windows Server Hyper-V: Tons of reports saying it does not work with E cores enabled even on Server 2022. Noone claiming it does work with E cores enabled.

.) Windows Client OS: Only this thread claiming it does not work on Windows 10+11
This thread on Dell forum claiming it works on Windows 11 with a 12700H laptop and he can also use all 20 cores:

Feedback I received so far (will be updated when I receive more):
.) I asked Intel on their support forums if 1260P on Win11 will work with Hyper-V and after asking internally they replied that they do not know of any issues.

.) Tried asking Microsoft on techcommunities and Q&A: No response received

.) Tried asking Dell: No response received

Microsoft hasn't released any patch/update for E-cores yet, and Win 10/11 is the same as Server 2019/2022 so in all these cases it won't work when E-cores are enabled. For me the OS was crashing once I enabled Hyper-V role.

Intel support seems clueless about their own products. Looks like the first support line is just a bunch of people who only provide info from their official documents or reply diplomaticaly, like the corporation wants. I had the same with some other brands support. Microsoft will tell you to check their forums/support docs and there is nothing about it. They are late with all updates and some of them are breaking the OS in other ways. I guess it was two weeks ago that one more cumulative update was breaking the OS. Every 1-2 months is the same story.
Think that MS was working with AMD for 8+ months before Win11 release and they still didn't fix multiple significant CPU/chipset compatibility issues for the premiere. The whole community was aware of that a half year before Win11 premiere and was reporting that based on the pre-release version. The cache issue was fixed 2 or 3 months after the Win11 release :| (in 3 stages as the failed it first).

Update:

.) This thread on Dell forum claiming it works on Windows 11 with a 12700H laptop and he can also use all 20 cores:

.) A community member on Microsoft Q&A claiming it works on Windows 10 with his 12700K even with e cores on

.) A Spanish amazon rating of a Notebook with 12700H claiming it did work after he upgraded Windows (not so sure if he meant installing latest updates or upgrading to Win11)

.) A post on a Chinese forum claiming it works

.) A guy posting benchmarks results in a forum claiming it was with Hyper-V on. According to his scores it was with e cores enabled. Also it was Notebook so not much chances to disable them anyway.

So I guess I will give it a try.

I just checked and the latest Win11 installer (no additional updates) works with Hyper-V enabled and VT-D enabled in BIOS. I had no time to install any OS on VM but it assigns all resources and so far there were no errors.
12600K CPU + ASUS Strix Z690I Gaming / all at auto in BIOS + enabled VT-D and RAID on NVMe.

This is possibly due to RSS being enabled on your network adapter. I posted some info on Asus's ROG forums and also opened a ticket on the Intel forums, where they ultimately blamed MS for the issue. I'm scouring the web finding other people with this issue to see if the below solves it:

Try disabling RSS via PowerShell on your physical network adapter(s):

get-netadapter
(to get the name of your physical NIC(s), mine was just "ethernet")

disable-netadapterrss -name ethernet
(where "name" is the name of your physical NIC)

After this, try to re-enable your E-Cores and see if your system boots properly. If it does boot, you can likely re-enable RSS but restrict to the P-cores. A 12900K has 8 P-cores, which will be processor 0-14 if hyperthreading is enabled (RSS automatically ignores HT cores). Disable E-Cores from your BIOS again to be safe and then run the following via PowerShell:

enable-netadapterrss -name ethernet
set-netadapterrss -name ethernet -maxprocessornumber 14
set-netadapterrss -name ethernet -maxprocessors 4

(again, where "name" is the name of your physical NIC)

Reboot, enable E-Cores in the BIOS, and you should be back up and running with RSS enabled. I am not running Hyper-V, but I'm running Windows 11 with WSL and WSB enabled, both of which use Hyper-V's networking stack. I was getting BSOD's after updating my NIC drivers, which led down the rabbit hole where I finally discovered the above solution. Hopefully this lets you use Hyper-V with E-Cores enabled!

Back