• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Hypers Just Got More Expensive.... Elipida Files for Bankruptcy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well with happenend not that long ago is it really that big of suprise? i mean japan still has some things still going on, no? sounds like the bussiness or plant didnt recover fast enough or just took more money to repair then what they have/had on hand.

I don't think that Elpida will be so hard to replace on the market. They have ~10-12% while ~42-44% belongs to Samsung, ~21-23% to Hynix and ~10-12% to Micron.
Really what overclockers care is that there won't be Hypers or BBSE ... what other chips were really special from them ? The same was with Winbond, all remember BH5/BH6 and what else ? Samsung TCCD and then nothing for years and now new 34nm IC. Micron D9 ... who can say many more good series from them ? ... I mean that it's really easy to replace one vendor if others have good ideas. Already most 2000+ series are being replaced with Hynix IC from what I see.

These were mainly Hynix based kits ( I had 2 of them )... was hard to pass 2000 on any timings.

I am pulling for Micron to make some headway. Their new D9s on the Ballistix are sick not hyper sick but WAY better than most other RAM I have used since Hypers went nuts on price.

I saw that these Microns are good but I don't think that you can make so good timings on higher clocks as you can make on PSC that are really cheap now. For benching PSC are probably best IC for new platforms unless you go for really high clocks then maybe also new Hynix ( 2800+ on IB ? ).
All others are making ~2133 cl9/10 that is already quite standard.

I saw that these Microns are good but I don't think that you can make so good timings on higher clocks as you can make on PSC that are really cheap now. For benching PSC are probably best IC for new platforms unless you go for really high clocks then maybe also new Hynix ( 2800+ on IB ? ).
All others are making ~2133 cl9/10 that is already quite standard.

Crucial Ballistix elite 2x8GB 1866 I was running at 2133 9-9-9 and would probably do more since I was able to run 1900 8-8-8

hey guys, I am now interested in learning what the heck you're talking about here with these different higher end types of ram, is there an article somewhere that explains all this?

wonder if this means el will be microns high end ic or will they relegate it to the lowend. i just hope micron doesnt simply just buy them and dismiss what elipida has done.

I think they want to use all research and licenses for which Elpida paid so much in last years. Elpida also merged with PSC ( last year or something ) that had really good series. Before declaring bankruptcy, Elpida had best chips on market ... well more on paper or in engineering samples but they had ;)
Micron is already working on something new so getting more patents will only make them stronger. Hard to say if they will use it in good way ...

I know the immediate posts was a few months ago but don't ya always love seeing things like this.

"CEO resigning in disgrace as "scapegoat"..."

Sure he did, more like retired with a crapload of money to go do it again elsewhere :)

Did he fall on a sword or something afterwards ?

Back