• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I became an LN2 distributor today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Sold 50L + dewar rental for the period of 1 to 2 weeks (I can get by for the next week or two on 75L).

I don't have an extraction device, so it was a direct thermos transfer from 100L to 50L... The 50L was already about 30L full, so with the 2L thermoses it took about 10 transfers. Grabbed some shots of the fill (there's a yellow security light and its windy out, which gave it an artsy look):

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03523.jpg

Full Disclosure: The buyer was from XS, a competing team, however he's a young guy and its good to get people into the hobby in the scheme of things... Despite where HWBot allegiances lay.

Last edited:
Oh noes!!! Weve all been telling you for a long time that addiction will get you in trouble. Now look at yourself dealing ICE out of the back of a truck.... Who can we look up to now????

You're a stand up guy I.M.O.G... standing up in the back of a truck dolling out liquid goodness for all. You have arrived.

I had a feeling it was going to end up here too.
Hi everyone, I am the traitor and this is my first post. :) It's all in the name of overclocking though...

Thanks I.M.O.G!

Welcome to OCF BeepBeep2! You might not be on the same team, but you're a fellow hardware torturer, which is almost as good.

Now, if you want to regularly get LN2 from him, you have to switch teams. It's in the contract you signed. Didn't you read it? :p

Welcome to OCF BeepBeep2! You might not be on the same team, but you're a fellow hardware torturer, which is almost as good.

Now, if you want to regularly get LN2 from him, you have to switch teams. It's in the contract you signed. Didn't you read it? :p
Just getting my feet wet.

I grew up in a distant land, very blue and grey there. Hey, it is here too. :clap: In all seriousness, I doubt I'll be doing this very often...if it gets to addiction point I won't bother IMOG anymore and buy my own dewar :drool:

So sit back and grab some :popcorn: everyone, I'll post a results thread even though points will be going to XS (at least) for now :D

We welcome any torturing of hardware! If you stream it, be sure to post in the benching section. There are guys on our team that really enjoy watching livestreams. I'd be one of them if time weren't a problem. Whenever I have spare time, the computer I'm at is being benched! :p

We welcome any torturing of hardware! If you stream it, be sure to post in the benching section. There are guys on our team that really enjoy watching livestreams. I'd be one of them if time weren't a problem. Whenever I have spare time, the computer I'm at is being benched! :p

Well, just left IMOG's place with 50L ln2. Quick stop to lowes on the way back to pick up some more frost king and local art store for erasing goodies. Hopefully people don't think we have a bomb in the backseat!

I pour it in stages!

1. When the dewar is mostly full, standing beside the dewar, you can just leave the bottom on the ground, set the thermos on the ground, and tip the dewar with both hands on one of the handles until it pours into the thermos... You can get away with doing it this way until the dewar is too empty to pour without lifting the bottom off the ground. I cut a thermos sized hole in a 2-4" high box and put the thermos inside the hole in the box, the box helps ensure I don't knock the thermos over - it isn't really necessary.

2. When the dewar needs the bottom elevated, I start by rolling the bottom onto my foot, then tipping to pour into the thermos just like in the first stage. This gets an extra 4-10 liters out without having to lift the bottom of the dewar. Sometimes I push the toe of my foot up and put one hand on the bottom lip of the dewar to lift it a little further than my toes alone.

3. This part is a pain at first, but you just have to lift the bottom enough. As you know, there isn't much of a lip on the bottom of this dewar so there's not a lot to hold onto down there. One hand on the handle at the top, one hand on the lip at the bottom, pouring into the thermos. I have 2L thermoses, so I pour less often, and it can get pretty tiring holding it up.

I'm older and fatter, so I probably have more hate and frustration in my soul which gives me extra strength to get it done. You are young and skinny, the world is still your oyster - not enough hate and anger works against you.

Dolk is a member here you may know, he's a little younger than me and not fat, and he also has experienced a bit of a challenge with pouring from it. There is a bit of a technique, or learning to leverage it so you aren't breaking your back when you don't have to... Thats really important until you get it as empty as possible and there's no choice but to lift it.

It may help you avoid lifting it also if you tip it over a cinder block, or something else which lets you raise the bottom without lifting it unless you have to. You could set it on a table or something to elevate the base when you pour from it - but I was always afraid of elevating it, because its too damn heavy to imagine it falling or trying to catch it.

Last edited:
Alrighty, thanks.
I think I am now past stage one and well into stage two...:) thanks for the tips.

I thought about elevating it on a chair or small table, but that seems to be looking for trouble. I too couldn't imagine what would happen if it fell, even if just a foot.

When I was pouring from a dewar... I used a milk crate placed on a door mat to keep it from sliding.

Worked great to elevate to the point of getting all the Frozen Goodness out.

If you were a crafty man id get some metal together to make up a pouring device :l that the dewar sit in straps down and let's you tip it with a lever :p

Back