• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't get Windows to Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gotech

Registered
A Place where Sunshine is a Rare privilige
I just built a new PC, Finished last night. I installed Windows 7 and all the drivers for the MoBo and such, and did a windoows update. then this morning I got Norton and Internet installed. Then i Shut down the computer. then when i tried to power it on this afternoon It got as far as the "starting windows" Screen, and then it froze. I tried several more times to no avail. i also tried the repair mode but it still froze before it could do anything.

No idea what's going on, maybe i should do a fresh install (even though i just did) thankfully i created a System image this morning so all my hard work i safe.

Please Help!!

Last edited:
I have been working for hours and still have not found the source of the Issue, so i'm going to ditch windows and download Linux. how can I format the hard drive without getting into the OS? can I do it in the BIOS perhaps?

Any Help is much appreciated.

You could have tried booting into Windows Safe Mode... and uninstall Norton? Best strategy to avoid these problems is to partition the hard drive and make a drive image of the OS partition after you set everything up just as you want it to be. That way when things go belly up, you can nuke the OS partition and reimage back to when things were like you wanted them to be.

You can start the computer with a boot CD or a boot USB flash drive then install/format whatever's connected to PC. Linux should allow you to format before installing?

Perhaps consider multi booting and have both Linux and Windows?

In any case, whatever happened to you can and does happen all the time. Drive Imaging is the only way to resolve these problems quickly. People say they go for years on a single Windows installation without imaging, I don't know how they do it, it would drive me crazy. Things brake all the time.

Alright, so I installed Linux Alongside Windows, and got it all set up. then i tried booting into Windows again and it worked. !?!?!?!? but here's the really wierd thing. after i shut down yesterday morning, I plugged the little nano reciever for my wireless mouse and keyboard into a USB 3.0 port on the backinstead of the usb 2.0 port on the front of the case. then it didn't work. so after i installed Linux I tried pluggging the reciever back into the USB 2.0 port on the front of the case. then it worked. so it's either a wierd coincidence and Linux fixed the Problem, or my USB 3.0 Ports are messed up. thanks for trying to help.

Back