• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I feel the need for another experiment

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I just dug out one of my Cathar Storm G5's and compared it to the mounting for one of my old 115x blocks. There are holes that match up!

Time to pitch this thing against my Optimus Signature V2 on the bare-die 9900KS and see how a 15 year old silver waterblock can hang, since bare die is what it was designed for.

I really need to get a job. Then I wouldn't have time to indulge myself in such silliness.

IMG_9592.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg

Holy moly! I remember those! Took me about a year to get mine. When I dug it out of the junkbox, it was full of dust and inside was a dead cricket. I sold it ages ago.

I vote go for it! I'd like to see results too!

I have two G5's. :attn:

Back when I had ambitions of a dual Socket A rig.

I dug up some data from some old Overclockers.com articles. The Swiftech Storm block had a 2.75psi dP at 1GPM. A Heatkiller IV Pro today has about 1psi, and my Optimus 1.5psi.

And here we thought 1.5psi@1GPM was a 'high' dP today. We had far weaker pumps available when these were made. No wonder people like Nikhsub went for Iwaki monsters. This will definitely give my dual DDCs a workout.

Judging by the design, it won't do well...(pegs versus microfins, but silver is better than copper at removing heat) but I'm looking forward to seeing the result! Be careful!

Last edited:
Judging by the design, it won't do well...(pegs versus microfins, but silver is better than copper at removing heat) but I'm looking forward to seeing the result! Be careful!

i bet it does pretty good, the pins look to be hollow and the water flows trough them into the holes in the cpu side.

i bet it does pretty good, the pins look to be hollow and the water flows trough them into the holes in the cpu side.
I was wondering if it did that. All blocks are designed that way (intake shoots directly at base), but not sure the internal design of those holes... no mircrofins = lack of surface area... will cut it. If water is just shooting into those holes and there isn't any microfins at the bottom of the holes, I don't have much faith it will perform well. I mean that's how LN2 pots are designed (no microfins last I saw) but that's also brute force cooling.

I mean, it will work, sure, but I'd imagine not as well as most anything out recently. :)

I remember those being a pretty big deal back in the day. I bet it will do fairly well, but I have 0 experience with liquid cooling.

I was wondering if it did that. All blocks are designed that way (intake shoots directly at base), but not sure the internal design of those holes... no mircrofins = lack of surface area... will cut it. If water is just shooting into those holes and there isn't any microfins at the bottom of the holes, I don't have much faith it will perform well. I mean that's how LN2 pots are designed (no microfins last I saw) but that's also brute force cooling.

I mean, it will work, sure, but I'd imagine not as well as most anything out recently. :)

i'm sure it'll work just fine, maybe not up to par with brand new blocks but I'm sure it'll keep respectable temps.

It uses the jet impingement flowpath. The drilled areas of the base plate have an inverse cone shape with a little protruding spike from the bottom. The Delrin tubes focus the flow onto the drilled spikes. The block was harder to manufacture, and those tubes are rather fragile and can be prone to plugging if your loop isn't clean. Jet impingement blocks were phased out as the microfin blocks gained favor as a superior design with the rise of IHS topped CPUs. But on a naked chip, that's where I wonder if it still has a chance.

Holy moly! I remember those! Took me about a year to get mine. When I dug it out of the junkbox, it was full of dust and inside was a dead cricket. I sold it ages ago.
What did you wind up getting for the cricket? :D

Very cool test. I think I would rather you not get a job so I can follow your testing experiments. :D

I never ran one of these but used the Whitewater after D-Tek started making them. This is the original silver and quite the collectable imo! I look forward to the comparisons on this one. Especially to something like the Optimus block.

Nah not yet. Doing other more productive things for now. Applied for a master's program and now working on my PMP certification.

Pretty sure Swiftech bought Cathar's design for this block to make & sell a version of their own. Important piece of WC history, especially the silver version. I think Danger Den also made a silver base version of one of their blocks... maybe the TDX?

Back