• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to move into water cooling, I am worried about compatibility...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xringx

I used to have a very cool and quiet computer on air.. I have since moved to a 290X with triple monitors and destroyed the quiet and cool thing...

I have read the guide above, but I am very concerned about compatibility of all parts.

So, if someone wants to put a shopping list together.. It certainly would give the all compatible parts to look at and to develop an understanding.

Only website I am familiar with is FrozenCPU.com. I am in the US..

So, here are my current specs:

i5 3570K @ 4.80GHz
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Noctua D14
PowerColor 290X PCS+
2x16GB Crucial Ballistix
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD Velociraptor 300GB
EVGA 850 G2
Corsair Carbide 400R
6 Noctua NF-P14 140mm fans, 2 Corsair 120mm fans all running with a volt mod
WIN 7 64bit

I want to move to a 290X crossfire and step up to another case, such as the Corsair 900D or the 750D.

Here's a better idea.

I'm not going to spoon-feed you a parts list because watercooling isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Go read the stickies in this section two or three times through.
You'll learn about picking components, assembling/maintaining your loop, calculating your heat load, and more.

Once you're done, come back with a list of parts and your plans and we can help you more.

So, what do you want to actually cool? The CPU and 2 290x GPUs?

The stickies should lead you to be able to build a parts list though as was mentioned above, more or less. :p

Or get one of these and call it a day. I have two of the earlier models and they are nearly inaudible even when running at 100% fan speed.

Here's a better idea.

I'm not going to spoon-feed you a parts list because watercooling isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Go read the stickies in this section two or three times through.
You'll learn about picking components, assembling/maintaining your loop, calculating your heat load, and more.

Once you're done, come back with a list of parts and your plans and we can help you more.

Sounds fair enough...Is it safe to assume that most everything is compatible?

Make sure to pick GPU blocks for the exact model number, CPU blocks for the socket, and fittings/tubing to be the same size.
Past that, not really any "size" issues.

You'll get in trouble with high FPI radiators and crap fans.

Also, expect to spend $400 at a minimum for a CPU+1 GPU loop.
Not counting the case you plan to get.

you MUST know if your parts are revision # whatever, motherboard, gpu's, everything.
we just had a guy in here with a card and block, his old card was a first release and the 1 they sent him for rma was a rev 2 card and his block was useless on the rev 2 card.

Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump - Black
Black Ice GT Xtreme 280 Radiator - Black
Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 Small Form Factor / High-Flow Reservoir (1/2" ID & 3/8" ID)
EK Radeon R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal)
EK Supremacy Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Clean Acetal (EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Acetal)

For fans I was thinking of using my Noctua NF P14's.

Based on the reservoir..looks like I am using 1/2" fittings... I am not to worried about selecting the fittings and hoses and such...

I plan on going crossfire..is there enough capacity, or do I need to move the GPU's to their own loops?

Are the parts select compatible? Quality?

Thanks

Black Ice GT Xtreme 280 Radiator
Nowhere near enough radiator unless you're going to use delta screamers on it as fans. Seriously xringx don't rush this, spend more time in the stickys, that way you build it correctly the first time and don't waste money. You need to figure out what you want your DT's to be at and also how much heatload you are going to be need to remove. If you're planning on 2 R9 290x's then you'll need to figure that into the equation.

Nowhere near enough radiator unless you're going to use delta screamers on it as fans. .

When you said not nearly enough radiator, I think you said a mouthful. I just did a quick g00gle of rads for 290X cards and generally it seems many believe 240 or even a 280 rad for 'each' 290X card. Those son of a guns must be very dang hot.
RGone...:shock:

250W+ for each, yep.

(this is where calculating heatload comes in to place in the stickies OP)

I have a 5.120 loop with 2 R9-280X's, the 280X pulls about 240 watts at WOT, a 290X pulls about 480 watts at WOT. I think a pair of 360's would be the minimum for a pair of 290X's in crossfire. A pair of 480's wouldn't be overkill for a quiet system.

A 290x TDP is 250W, but closer to 300W. Unless you are POURING on voltage and overclocking to the moon, likely on subambient cooling, THEN I could see 480W. Otherwise, with 'normal' overclocking, I can't imagine much over 350W at most and that is with something like mining...

... which, BTW, I am doing with a 290x Lightning. Even with a 4.2Ghz 4930K supporting it, I do not pull over 450W from the wall (90% efficient PSU = ~400W total SYSTEM use).

That 480 number is from a review at Legit reviews, it's the highest I have seen, most reviews show it around 300-320 watts. I would rather error on the high side vs the low side for cooling.

450 for the system is pretty good, my 9590 with 2 280X's has been close to 600 watts according to the kill-a-watt meter.

Notice how the title of the graph says "Total SYSTEM Power Consumption"...that includes the rest of the PC. Depending on the review site, they test differently. One needs to pay attention to that for accuracy's sake. Also, that value is from a kill-a-watt as well. Take away their PSU's efficieny and that ENTIRE PC is actually using around ~440W actual use.

That said, for the sake of radiator sizing, using a system value is inaccurate and will cause severe over raddage and waste money.

Last edited:
wats a watt my dear watson? so many watts i dunno wat to do.

Another important question to address pertains to how and where are you going to mount the radiator? Are you interested in a push-pull fan configuration or would a pair of fans suffice? Depending on your requirements, you might have to be very careful to pick fans to avoid clearance issues. These pesky topological issues should be addressed before you move forward. Since you have a 400R, the rad mounting holes on the top are standardized, or perhaps you would not mind modding the case to accommodate alternate arrangements?

Good luck with your build and welcome to the forums! :)

Back