• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I hope AMD did not just drop support for Windows XP with Catalyst 12.10!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Some of us don't just use a single OS, we use multi-boots and Windows XP is officially supported by Microsoft for two more years, until 2014.

It's not listed on the official Release Notes for Catalyst 12.10
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion1210ReleaseNotes.aspx

If AMD ended support, they should have said so clearly, it's unclear right now if maybe they will release Windows XP drivers later like nVidia sometimes comes out with WinXP drivers only after releasing Win7 drivers, but it doesn't look good because WinXP is no longer in the Release Notes.

You mean Petition? They'll probably say most new updates are game-related and when you game, you probably reboot into Win7 anyway.... They were cheap to end WinXP support, I think the problem here is that they didn't think they needed to announce it for some reason. Or maybe they knew WinXP was supported for two more years and this way they just slipped WinXP End of Life in there just to see what the reaction would be?

Meanwhile, Catalyst 12.8 or 12.9 Beta for permanent WinXP install then, what do you think?

It's still supported, it's just now updates for XP are quarterly instead of monthly, like they are for Vista and upwards.

Oh, where did you find this out? And when are quarterly release dates scheduled by the way?

I was going to say to go with 12.9 Beta since Release Notes say 12.9 Beta fixes "Windows XP audio driver incorrectly installed."

Need that HDMI out for sound even though WinXP does not support Blu-Ray High Def audio. When you reboot into Win7 you don't want to be switching audio...

All I can find out is news about Quarterly switch for all operating systems. Did you find out something specific about Windows XP because 12.10 official and Beta and 12.11 Beta no longer list Windows XP, there are no Windows XP drivers after 12.9 Beta.

Back