• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a new internet security program, advice??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I have a software firewall but I either accidentally turned it off or someone did it for me and then they accessed my computer and tried to buy themselves a new laptop...

anyhow. my current utility program(system suite 4.0 ) has a firewall but it is time to find a new program.

I am running AVG 6.0 for virus so I am looking for firewall mostly BUT

I know there are new INTERNET SECURITY SUITES so to speak out there.

why pay $40 for just a firewall if I can get more than jsut that at one time.

I was looking at the PC CIllin program,. It has firewall, antivurus and all that for about $40

what you think?

You could just use the 40 bucks (or less) and get a cheap pentium 100Mhz or whatever and setup a hardware firewall by installing Smoothwall or IPCop, both of which are free and very good

Just download whichever one you want to install and burn the .iso to a cd, put the cd in the computer and boot it up, install, then configure. The computer you install it on has to 1)have 2 ethernet cards if you have broadband [and a switch or hub] or 2) have one network card, a compatible modem, [and a switch or hub] (FYI: Smoothwall is very simple to install and configure)

[ ]= if you have more than the firewall and 1 other pc

I agree with TazExtreme3, we put one of our old 133 mhz computers to work with IPCOP. Works great and has VPN built in so we can connect to my roomates bro;s network who has IPCOP too.

Back