• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help and it will be much appreciated ( Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Wolfy

First off i Really want to Thank You in advance for helping.

So i know quite a bit about PCs and overclocking but i never overclocked before and because my CPU is really quite old and i got a GTX 760 i decided i need some more CPU power but i dont have money to upgrade anything at the moment.

So what i did is i pushed my Quad @ 2.5GHz to 3.0GHz (( CPU is NOT unlocked ))

So i changed the "CPU Host Frequency" from 333x7.5 ( 2.5GHz ) to 400x7.5 ( 3GHz )

Mainly screen freezes and (Windows crashes sometimes) started occuring as far as i know there's 2 ways to avoid them 1. Lower frequency 2. Increase voltage so i increased voltage from 1.23V to 1.25V but it kept crashing ( every 5 - 10 min ) so i didnt really want to push it above 1.27V and it still kept crashing so i reverted it back to 1.25V ( i assume it's enough )

I tought it was a Timing issue or something to do with the ram so i changed this setting under "DRAM Performance Control" setting is called "Performance Enhance" changed it from "Turbo -> Extreme" because in the info it said it could improve stability and that changed the crashing to occur every 15-20 min but it's really random mainly occurs if i try to watch a Youtube video that's where it mainly happens or when i use some sites.
If i run a test from OCCT for like 10 min it works just fine no problem and it's not overheating at 100% CPU runs not more than 64 C

But that one time it froze i waited like 20 sec(because i could still hear my friend over skype and when it unfroze cpu was at 100% after like 2-3 sec it dropped back to 2-3%.

I am assuming it's something to do with either RAM timing or RAM speed i really don't know so if you could help i would REALLY appreciate it. :)

DETAILED SPECS

CPU - Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad - Q8300 @ 2.5GHz (Overclocked @ 3.0GHz )

GPU - Graphics Card: Nvidia - GeForce GTX 760 Windforce Edition 2048MB GDDR5

RAM - Memory: 2 x 2GB Kingston DDR2 Memory + 1 x 2GB A-Data DDR2 Memory + 1 x 1GB A-Data DDR2 = 7 GB DDR2 Memory Total

PSU - Power Supply: High Power - Element Bronze II - 600W

MOBO - Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3LR 1333+ Dual BIOS

HDD: Hitachi DeskStar 500GB 7200 RPM

CASE: Tacticle Cupboard Case - Yes my PC is indeed in a cupboard. ( Judge me! :p )

Last edited:
Yes i stress tested it and stuff at max it hits 65 C ( Only on core 1 ) all other cores are 58-60 C I Really appreciate the help i just am not in the position to be burning my CPU and i have little knowlage of Overclocking so that's why i stopped at 1.25V because of heat and worries i would like to get it to like 3.5GHz max but i am not sure if that's even possible also i have my SmartFancontroll thingy in the BIOS set to disabled so fan is always at 100% just in case.

65c and then 58-60c for other cores under a serious load of a stressing app, is not too high. No yet. Under a super heavy continuous stressing app, about 80c is all I would like to see though. You do not mention the actual cpu cooler you are using and you might need to upgrade to better if it is not that good of a cooler and since system is in cubby-hole.

I would very strongly urge you to read the tutorial that was linked in Post #2 above as it will get you used to terms and general 'how-to' about overclocking in general.

Been a long time since I have run socket 775 cpus but I had a 4 core Q9650 that could run 4.0Ghz in P95 blend for at least 2 hours using a hefty air cooler. Took something like 1.365Vcore under that heavy load though to remain stable.

Looking around the 8300s and 8400s seem to take at least 1.30Vcore at idle and up to 1.35Vcore under load to remain stable. You have a ways to go to reach those voltages. There are plenty of posts in the forum here about 8200, 8300 and 8400 overclocks. You might search them and look at what they used for cooling and the cpu voltages involved. The more you see what those did that have been there...the more it will make good sense and you will have a sense of what you must do.
Luck man.
RGone...ster.

I did read the thread literally took me like 5-6 min to read it and get it all stable my biggest issue is i needed to OC the memory because it couldnt keep up with the CPU but now that the ram is at 800MHz ( for 400MHz FSB ) it seems stable and it's at 1.27V i want to push it more but i read the point where it throttles down is 71 C so i didnt want to burn it also another thing holding me back is the RAM because currently it's at 2.00D which is rated for 400MHz FSB and it's 800MHz Memory speed and i can not get it anything less than that but the help is MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated!!!

PS: using stock cooler

**EDIT**

Now using 1 more additional fan and CPU is having a hard time going above 61-62 C even under excessive load for over an hour

Last edited:
Back