• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I never was a fan of Thermaltake but this takes the cake........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
I was never a fan of Thermaltake in the custom water cooling world but THIS takes the cake to a whole other level. I'm not surprised at all. I have this belief that any Chinese company or possibly Taiwanese will copy anyone else's intellectual property and CS rarely exists.

I really am wondering if by any chance they have a license to do some of these almost identical designs from the original companies, like Gabe @ Swiftech.

Meh.....All I see is a case that is styled similar to the other one. the rest... tons of fans have the same looks now, the bay digital meters all have to fit in the BAY area. The Block looks to be an exact copy so there is a license involved. I would bet they are all ( or most ) ordering this crap from chinese factories and selling it to us anyways. Truthfully I think the other guy is drumming up cheap publicity over this.

I mean most of the hard drives I see are the same looking....CD drives...Same....so much stuff in computers is very close to the same size or look because of standards.

If you want my honest Opinion Caselabs looks very generic and a big metal box so it would be easy to look the same or similar with how the new larger cases are built. Over the years I have had many computers and they all looked very similar as far as the case goes except for a little size difference here and there, but very similar looking. Just lately you have seen a few more companies making cases that actually don't look like square boxes and have real design and art work to them.

As a matter of fact if you look at TV's, DVD players, Monitors, VHS, etc etc....So many of the simple designs look the same. I think if you want to separate yourself from the pack you need to do something different completely rather than a plain black box.

Last edited:
Meh.....All I see is a case that is styled similar to the other one. the rest... tons of fans have the same looks now, the bay digital meters all have to fit in the BAY area. The Block looks to be an exact copy so there is a license involved. I would bet they are all ( or most ) ordering this crap from chinese factories and selling it to us anyways. Truthfully I think the other guy is drumming up cheap publicity over this.

I mean most of the hard drives I see are the same looking....CD drives...Same....so much stuff in computers is very close to the same size or look because of standards.

If you want my honest Opinion Caselabs looks very generic and a big metal box so it would be easy to look the same or similar with how the new larger cases are built. Over the years I have had many computers and they all looked very similar as far as the case goes except for a little size difference here and there, but very similar looking. Just lately you have seen a few more companies making cases that actually don't look like square boxes and have real design and art work to them.

As a matter of fact if you look at TV's, DVD players, Monitors, VHS, etc etc....So many of the simple designs look the same. I think if you want to separate yourself from the pack you need to do something different completely rather than a plain black box.

One could also argue your examples for the last paragraph are more based on prebuilt items not meant for customization, whereas computer CASES (although some other products do look damn similar, lol) are more about customization options (of course aside from the standard prebuilts that are for simple workstations). TT just does this kinda thing so much, and with generally poor quality. While I WILL agree CaseLabs have a more generic take on styling cues, in the end, they are styled how they are styled and they do stand out as a CaseLabs product especially in regards to quality; generally if you look at a bunch of computers set up together similar to going to a LAN such as QuakeCon BYOB you can spot out cases.

Personally, and I've mulled over buying a CaseLabs Mercury S5 in the past, but they are quite pricey in comparison to what is offered now by Phanteks and NZXT that are watercooling friendly. But, I had spent near $200 on the NZXT Switch 810 that I only recently parted with for the Enthoo Evolv, and thus the $250 price tag of the S5 wasn't out of the question assuming I stuck to a custom loop. Generally though, CL are pretty pricey compared to current offerings, which deters many would-be buyers.

Last edited:
One could also argue your examples for the last paragraph are more based on prebuilt items not meant for customization, whereas computer CASES (although some other products do look damn similar, lol) are more about customization options (of course aside from the standard prebuilts that are for simple workstations). TT just does this kinda thing so much, and with generally poor quality. While I WILL agree CaseLabs have a more generic take on styling cues, in the end, they are styled how they are styled and they do stand out as a CaseLabs product especially in regards to quality; generally if you look at a bunch of computers set up together similar to going to a LAN such as QuakeCon BYOB you can spot out cases.

Personally, and I've mulled over buying a CaseLabs Mercury S5 in the past, but they are quite pricey in comparison to what is offered now by Phanteks and NZXT that are watercooling friendly. But, I had spent near $200 on the NZXT Switch 810 that I only recently parted with for the Enthoo Evolv, and thus the $250 price tag of the S5 wasn't out of the question assuming I stuck to a custom loop. Generally though, CL are pretty pricey compared to current offerings, which deters many would-be buyers.

There ya go Quality and Customization are what Caselabs is about more so than a black box.

These newer larger square cases, Some on wheels, with hinged doors remind me of industrial boxes personally. They are just black and not gray and have a few custom fan vents, switches, etc..

Last edited:
Back