• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I put a fan on my GPU like this, is it going to affect its temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

william_90

Registered
right now this 7970 is the hottest component on my rig, after push/pulling hyper212 evo with 2 cougars, the noisy assistant fans inside Z87 Sabertoogh's TUF to deal with MB, my highest temp's for this 7970, it usually hit 70 at most when im playing for hours, and it shorten its lifespan im sure.
its Evo's stock fan in there

I've three questions:

(1) does any Intel GPUs like 680 or 780 get hot like this?

(2) whats ur opinion about another option and put the fan below GPU and replace the GPU for the upper PCIe3 slot, or the current one is effective?

(3) GPU-z says the GPU is on PCIe v3 x8 while it supports x16,
the Manual says: 2x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 dual at x8/x8 mode)
I use only one GPU so why's its showing x8 mode

LL

LL

LL

LL

thanks in advance for helpful tips

right now this 7970 is the hottest component on my rig, after push/pulling hyper212 evo with 2 cougars, the noisy assistant fans inside Z87 Sabertoogh's TUF to deal with MB, my highest temp's for this 7970, it usually hit 70 at most when im playing for hours, and it shorten its lifespan im sure.
its Evo's stock fan in there

I've three questions:

(1) does any Intel GPUs like 680 or 780 get hot like this?

(2) whats ur opinion about another option and put the fan below GPU and replace the GPU for the upper PCIe3 slot, or the current one is effective?

(3) GPU-z says the GPU is on PCIe v3 x8 while it supports x16,
the Manual says: 2x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 dual at x8/x8 mode)
I use only one GPU so why's its showing x8 mode

70 degrees is fine for that GPU.

N'vidia GPU's get hot as well

I bet you would get lower temps if you moved the card to the top most PCI slot. It looks like you are just recycling hot air at the bottom of your case.

Modern GPU's make 2-3 times as much heat as CPU does! And yes, they do run hot.

What case do you have and are there front intake fans in it?

The fan layout you have is not cooling your GPU. Assuming you have 2x 120/140mm front intake fans it is simply moving air from front to back over motherboard. :D

We need cool air going to the GPU fans pulling air into shroud and pushing it out on all sides of GPU between shroud and PCB. We want to keep cool air going to these GPU cooler fans as cool as possible by keeping as much of the heated air as possible that is coming out between shroud and PCB from mixing into this cool air going in.

Like above I suggest moving GPU to a higher PCI slot and installing the fan on HDD cage in bottom vent... and make sure the bottom of case has 40-50mm clearance between bottom and floor/desktop.

I agree w/what Doyll said, you want cool intake air from the bottom of the case going into the intake fan(s) on the 7970 and a fan mounted down there by the PSU would definitely assist in that.

On my thermaltake armor+ I had to move my video card down to the last PCI 3.0 slot because
of my CPU heatsink, which turned out to be a good thing because the shrouded fans I have
mounted on my Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme II Plus are now pretty much drawing all the air
from the vents in the bottom of the case (which has a top mounted PSU) My overclocked-flashed 6950 never goes above 60 degrees celsius.

I can't imagine blowing air over the back of the video card making much difference in temps.

thanks, ur replies seriously helped me alot, the lower PCIe3 slot was x8 permanently, not in any power saving features and...etc, but the upper slot is x16 while the Manual is saying both are x16 anyway

i mounted the fan at bottom and its apparently way better than before, but I've a question about 212evo, when u mount a fan on it, there's a 4/5mm space and gap between them if u look at my pictures, i use a white sticker to cover this gap, the sticker will surely loosen by time,
sorry to ask questions again but i've two questions here

(1) does it make any difference to cover the gap or not?

(2) do these Intel Rapid Technologies, are necessary? (storage, connection, start)

I mean 5 or more second boost in start up doesnt really matter for me, and i dont RAID or not a fan of Emails and facebooks twitter

thanks, ur replies seriously helped me alot, the lower PCIe3 slot was x8 permanently, not in any power saving features and...etc, but the upper slot is x16 while the Manual is saying both are x16 anyway

i mounted the fan at bottom and its apparently way better than before, but I've a question about 212evo, when u mount a fan on it, there's a 4/5mm space and gap between them if u look at my pictures, i use a white sticker to cover this gap, the sticker will surely loosen by time,
sorry to ask questions again but i've two questions here

(1) does it make any difference to cover the gap or not?

(2) do these Intel Rapid Technologies, are necessary? (storage, connection, start)

I mean 5 or more second boost in start up doesnt really matter for me, and i dont RAID or not a fan of Emails and facebooks twitter

The tape idea makes sense to me. Like you said it'll probably come loose
at some point though. I've heard/read that airflow is analogous to water
flow (and maybe current) and flows to the path of least resistance. I'm not
sure if it's true or not. Some heatsink manufacturers use shrouds to make
sure all the airflow goes into the heatsink, just like car manufacturers do w/radiators fans.

I think the gap is deliberate though, because to have
a fan right up against a restriction like a heatsink isn't a good thing (the fan
hub creates an area where there is little to no airflow for one thing, it also creates a lot of noise).

I don't know anything about the Intel Rapid Technologies. I used to have
a service like that on my XP Pro install, but I removed it and everything
still works fine.

a bit of distance between fan & HS is to deal with (motor/)hub shadow and a bit less noise.
At 5 mm its not going to be a huge difference thou. So, if there is a gap between HS and outside fan case.. duct-tape it :) Not that its going to gain you 10 °C , but it helps (with the right fan)

Why do you ask about IRT ?
It comes handy (necessairy) if you do RAID or if you have the fabled "SSD cache" setup.
If your drive(s) SATA controller is an Intel chip, its hard to do without IRT :)

Back